Continue to Site

Boxes--fold ahead or at the cut?

eupher61

I’ve done both. Space considerations obviously make folding them at the cut table nice, but it’s also good to have them done ahead for a rush.

I’m not convinced the time spent folding at the table is really a problem. Put the pie on a circle, cut it, and slide it into the flat box. That eliminates picking the cutting board up and risking slippage disasters.

On a related subject, flat corrugated circles or the square, ridged inserts? Or this? This is a new one on me, but it makes sense. If the cost is reasonable, it would seem a great compromise.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Steveos Box Folding Thread

A 5-page debate about when to fold boxes. Unfortunately, all the pics of that guy’s setup for hanging his unfolded boxes over the cut table have all been deleted.

We used to buy square ripple sheets that were 2" smaller than each box size. I think the ripple sheets were more expensive than a circle doing the same job - probably because all the circles I’ve ever seen are “solid” cardboard and ripple sheets are half the material. Somewhere along the line we decided that the inserts weren’t making a noticeable difference, so now we use only a box.

Last edited:
WOW.

At the risk of starting that all over again, I’ll say this.

I’ve done both. Always conveyor ovens. The higher volume stores did pre-fold. They also used a rocker knife more often than a wheel, personal preference to the staff. The problem with the knife is getting the pies, especially the thin, into the box without messing them up.

At the fold-at-cut stores, there was rarely a problem, either, even in the biggest rush. Knife only, pan to circle to box to cut.
( Of course, that store made shells to order, too. I’m not sure what they do now, but everything was done at the time of the order. The dough was in a bag in a 30 gallon can. New dough made all the way through the night, and I realize this is counter to the way most do it. I’ve done the whole classic ball/pan/rotate system, too, and it doesn’t really work for me. )

Folding at the time has the advantage of using either a knife or wheel. I, too, like the knife better. The slices don’t separate as easily during the cut. That alone saves time.

As far as cutting into squares, you ain’t been to St Louis, have you?

I like the square ripples for two reasons: they are usually cheaper, and they allow some “moisture” to leave the crust. My pizzas aren’t greasy! :mrgreen:

I wish those photos from Steveo were still available.

Last edited:
If you haven’t read the original Gulliver’s Travels about Lilliput and their neighbors . . . or Dr. Seuss’ rendering in the "Bitter Butter Battle Book . . . you should get one of them. This is one of the closest to a religious divide as any in Pizzianity. Those who fold at cut are fanatically devoted to it, and the same with us pre-folders.

Check out that thread for the pros-cons of each and see what works for you. then join the sacred church of whichever you chose 🙂

Last edited:
If you haven’t read the original Gulliver’s Travels about Lilliput and their neighbors . . . or Dr. Seuss’ rendering in the "Bitter Butter Battle Book . . . you should get one of them. This is one of the closest to a religious divide as any in Pizzianity. Those who fold at cut are fanatically devoted to it, and the same with us pre-folders.

Check out that thread for the pros-cons of each and see what works for you. then join the sacred church of whichever you chose 🙂

Last edited:
brad randall:
Steveos Box Folding Thread

A 5-page debate about when to fold boxes. Unfortunately, all the pics of that guy’s setup for hanging his unfolded boxes over the cut table have all been deleted.
As the song goes “Those were the days my friends, I thought they would never end”…

Wonder where our buddy Steve is these days…

Last edited:
Sifting through his posts, looking for whatever started that, it looks like his place closed. His account here still exists, but hasn’t been logged in since October '11.

Last edited:
Back