Continue to Site

Bread Bowls?

mrkona

I’ve been trying bread bowls on and off for a couple of years, and I guess seeing the Domino’s pasta bread bowl brought it to the forefront of my mind again.

I have been trying to make a good bread bowl with my pizza dough, and they are turning out ok… but usually on the dense side. Has anyone else tried this, and what modifications do you have to make for a nice, “fluffier” bread bowl?

I would like to do salads and soups (maybe even try pasta), so I want it to be able to hold up, but not “stick to your ribs” so much!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
a continuing project we’ve been on…

Many, many yrs ago I ran a “real” Mexican rest. - we’d fry the tortillas for salads (b4 they were kewl) - used a #10 can & vice grips…

Same principle - pin out 4-6 oz dough (don’t dock) & fry in fryer - use/buy a basket designed for tortilla baskets or improvise…

Can be greasy & shelf life is limited - not great 4 liquids…

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback, Patriot!

Unfortunately (well, actually fortunately) we don’t have fryers in our restaurant - everything is oven baked.

On a side note, we do make our own “tortillas” with pizza dough - roll out a small dough ball, DON’T dock it, brush with EVOO and sprinkle some herbs on it… Fire in the oven and in a couple of minutes, it puffs up like a balloon. Take it out, cut in half lengthwise, and you have two “tortillas”! It’s an interesting variation for our quesadillas! 8)

Back on topic - anyone else have any bread bowl experience?

Thanks again!

Last edited:
in that case…use some s/s “nestling” bowls…spin yer dough…pam the inside of 1 & the outside of the other…lay the skin over the outside & cover/nestle with the other bowl…place in oven cavity side upside down…you could also use parchment paper…spin as thin as you want & play w/time/temp/thickness

Last edited:
I just talked to a MGR at Domino’s and he said they just punch down a dough ball and add the pre cooked portioned pasta bag that gets shipped to them and in the oven it goes.

Last edited:
We have been using our small dough ball, and letting it proof a bit longer prior to cooking in the oven - as is… No spinning, docking, punching down or anything…

After cooking, we cut off the top about 1/3 the way down, and scoop out the insides. It works pretty well, and holds up well to cream based soups (definitely can’t do French Onion or Chicken Noodle…). Also works really well for chili. I guess it’s not terrible, but it’s just more dense than I would like it to be.

I think I have been trying too hard to use this same principle for salads, which just doesn’t work at all… WAY too dense and too many carbs for people looking for salad!

@Patriot’s Pizza - I think I might try the SS bowl cooking method that you suggested for the salad presentation! Thanks for the idea! 😃

Last edited:
If you are trying to emulate Domino’s pasta bread bowl well by the looks of the US site it just looks like a puffy dough base.
In Australia they are using a bowl made from puff pastry. Looks heaps better and would hold back the moisture better than a dough base.

Dave

Last edited:
I have been known to make edible plates by using a couple deep dish pie (like in apple pie, not pizza pie) plates. Roll out the dough to the desired thickness, press it into a lightly oiled pie plate, then oil the top of the dough and place a second pie plate down onto the dough, press together so the top plate touches the dough surface, trim off the excess dough from around the edge of the pie plates, place a weight in the center of the top pie plate to help hold it down, a 1-pound weight works well, then bake to a light, golden brown color. This might be a good use for tired, old dough that might be otherwise tossed into the trash.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Last edited:
Tom Lehmann:
. . . . . then bake to a light, golden brown color. This might be a good use for tired, old dough that might be otherwise tossed into the trash. Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor
Apologizing if I accidentally highjack this into my own thread . . . . these would be GREAT to serve spaghetti and meatballs to dine in customers!! Tired dough would be great texture, and dense enough to hold of moisture. Brush with garlic butter and off we go. Got some dough tiring in the cooler as we speak.

tom, any experience or insight how to hold these for a day or two or three? Even using fresh dough, I would like to make some ahead and try to hold them and recrisp in oven for a few minutes.

Last edited:
if frying - forget storing overnite - baking is doable, but not for more than several days…

In your case, IMHBCO, I’d fry 'em up Indian Taco style, brush w/garlic & spice & serve…hell, I may just try that as a special!

Last edited:
I’m glad you brought that question up. We normally cool them to the touch, then place into a plastic bag to keep them from picking up humidity/moisture from the air and softening them. Remove from the bag and brush with olive oil, butter, or an infused oilive oil and place in the oven just long enough to lightly reheat/warm. This will also crisp it up at the same time, then fill with the hot/warm pasta and top with cheese before giving it one more pass through the oven to fully heat the pasta, bread, and melt the cheese topping. Really makes for a nice presentation.

Last edited:
I never like to recommend holding any baked dough product more than 3 days, four at the very most. The reason is because for most of us, we don’t use any mold inhibitors in our doughs, why? Because we don’t need them in pizza that will be prepared for consumption within minutes, hours, or at the very most, a day or so after it is sold. It takes approximately four to five days for unprotected product to develop visible mold growth, so if we only hold it for not more than four days, we don’t need to worry about mold being an issue.

Last edited:
My 1st experiment left a good bit to be desired . . . . and still more promise. I had the dough a little uneven, the bowls were too big, and the edges puffed too qucikly. I definitely gotta find a way to test this more and make it consistent. More dough bowl tests this week. Then, I’ll find some bowls the right size for what I want to do.

Last edited:
Nick;
We have the best results with dough that is sheeter to about 1/8-inch in thickness, and double panning, with the dough sandwiched between the two pans to control thickness. You just need to make sure the pans/bowls will nest one inside another, like the pie plates that we use.

Last edited:
Try Tom’s method of using pie tims - either good ones or disposable - look for an 8" or 9" diam - won’t be “dramatic” but you can make many of them in your deck oven - buy some dried beans to hold down the top tin

Last edited:
Back