Continue to Site

Brick Ovens

Seems logical to me.

Although it would seem nice to be able to offer a product like a “Brick oven crisp” pizza without the pesky hassle of actually having a Brick Oven. How would you get out of looking like you are falsely representing your product? Perhaps claim that “Brick oven” describes the crispness of the pizza rather than meaning you have a brick oven?

You can make a pretty convincing crisp crust in a conveyor oven. Par-baking it helps.

Here’s an example of “Brick oven” being used as the description rather than the literal being cooked in a brick oven meaning:

http://blogs.menupages.com/philadelphia/20080305frozfood.jpg

Although I would laugh my butt off if the cooking instructions read: “Place into brick oven”

Last edited:
When you see a pizzeria that is called a brick oven pizzeria, do you think it has to be a wood burning oven?

If I used the marsal mb60, could i call my place a brick oven pizzeria?

Last edited:
We try to catagorize ovens as follows:
Conveyor ovens: Any oven having a moving, open mesh, wire conveyor transporting the product through the oven. These ovens may bake by air impingement, infrared, or a combination of the two.
Traveling hearth ovens: These ovens have a conveyor consisting of plates made of steel, stone, or composite material upon which the product is baked on.
Deck ovens: Ovens having a flat surface upon which the product is baked. The deck material can be a natural stone or composition material. These ovens wil have a deck thickness of less than 4-inches thick and are heated by gas or electric.
Stone hearth ovens: Ovens constructed with a flat baking surface of natural stone or composit material having a thickness of 4-inches or more. These ovens may be gas, electric, wood, or coal fired, or any combination of the above.
Believe it or not, the law states that when a wholesale pizza is labeled as “brick oven baked” it MUST be baked in an oven with a brick hearth. There has even been some question at to whether a “brick oven style” pizza has to be baked in an oven with bricks. Go figure!
There are even some hybrids that we work with too, such as the ADO (air deck oven) which is a deck type oven but it employs air impingement technology, and there are still others such as the Turbo Chef ovens which employ a conbination of different high speed baking technologies. Even air impingement ovens can be, and are frequently, set up to bake using different baking technologies. This is all a part of the evolution of baking.
Convection ovens are another type of oven that we frequently encounter in the restaurant industry. This type of oven utilizes high velocity air agitation to speed up the baking process. This is not the same as air impingement baking, which utilizes much a higher velocity, and more focused air flow.
Additionally, there are “carosel” type ovens where the deck rotates in a flat/horizontal circular fashion, and then there are the ovens with shelves that rotate in a vertical manner, like that of a Ferris wheel, these are known correctly as “reel” type ovens.
There are still other types of ovens, such as tunnel, rotating rack, and traveling tray type ovens that are more common to the wholesale and retail baking industries.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Last edited:
Hi guys:

Tom lists above the vast array of oven types available. There are operators using all of them and many of those operators produce pies in those different ovens that would be confused with many other operators pies baked on an altogether different oven.

I think it is mostly the quality of ingredients and the care and the way they are combined and blended that determines the quality of the pizza not the oven used.

Again I would select the oven that is the simplest and easiest to use, that has the production capacity needed, is reasonably priced, is low in gas and electricity consumption, is easy to keep clean and has a great warranty.

George Mills

Last edited:
48.png
pizzapie:
When you see a pizzeria that is called a brick oven pizzeria, do you think it has to be a wood burning oven?

If I used the marsal mb60, could i call my place a brick oven pizzeria?
I, also, would like to know the answer to that.

Last edited:
I did a search of pizzerias with the words “brick oven” in their name. I lost count of how many there were. When it comes to a pizzeria, brick oven in it’s name means nothing to me. If the sign says Tom’s Pizza, home of authentic brick oven pizza, I’ll be looking for an oven with bricks or a stone hearth, it doesn’t matter if it is gas, wood or coal fired.

Last edited:
Tom Lehmann:
I did a search of pizzerias with the words “brick oven” in their name. I lost count of how many there were. When it comes to a pizzeria, brick oven in it’s name means nothing to me. If the sign says Tom’s Pizza, home of authentic brick oven pizza, I’ll be looking for an oven with bricks or a stone hearth, it doesn’t matter if it is gas, wood or coal fired.
So then Marsals 2 inch brick/stone would qualify?

Last edited:
Marsal ovens are still considered to be deck ovens. True, they have a thicker than normal (2-inch) deck, but it is still considered to be a deck type oven. and I would agree that these ovens bake more like a stone hearth oven than what might be considered a typical “deck” oven. They are in that gray area between two different types of ovens.

Last edited:
Tom Lehmann:
Marsal ovens are still considered to be deck ovens. True, they have a thicker than normal (2-inch) deck, but it is still considered to be a deck type oven. and I would agree that these ovens bake more like a stone hearth oven than what might be considered a typical “deck” oven. They are in that gray area between two different types of ovens.
Ok I think I understand what you’re saying. But let me ask you this… if a pizza place advertised “brick oven pizza” on their window and they used Marsal ovens, would you consider that false advertising?

Last edited:
Tom Lehmann:
If the sign read " Tom’s Brick Oven Pizzeria", could they use the marsal mb60 oven and not be lying?

Last edited:
You would have to pick the Marsal oven for that question, wouldn’t you! LOL
Since this is a pizzeria we’re talking about, I’d probably cut them a little literary slack and say OK, so long as the resulting pizza had the visual and textural characteristics of what I think a “brick oven pizza” should have. To the average consumer though, I don’t think it would mean a hill of beans what type or brand of oven the pizza was baked in. If it had the sensory characteristics that told the consumer that this is a brick oven pizza, it is a brick oven pizza. Like I always say: Preception is reality, and reality is preception.

Last edited:
To reiterate perception is realty.

I was thinking about this thread yesterday when I was talking to a realtor.

As someone who’s built what I consider a brick oven (A oven made from fire brick that burns wood) she was telling me how it would be a perfect location for a “brick oven.” and in my mind I immediately think wood burning dome oven. So I was a little confused as this location is really too small for a wood burner (probably) and not setup for a solid fuel chimney.

I see now that the general public really has no concept of what a brick oven means. IT could basically mean an oven with a brick facade…

For me at a bare minimum, it would have a firebrick hearth, but for example something like a Marsal or Bakers Pride with the brick options would pretty much apply.

Last edited:
I know this is an old post but has anyone used a Wood Stone oven. They use a hearth stone and its domed and you can use fire, wood, coal or a combo. This is one of the two ovens I am thinking of getting when I open my place the other being a Marsal MB60 double deck. It funny to that I saw this post because that is that I wanted to call the pizzeria “Brick Oven pizzeria”.

Last edited:
BSO;
They are indeed a very good oven, and one of my favorites to work with. I really like the fact that you can get them gas fired, allowing it to maintain something in the 300F temperature range when the store is closed, you can then use wood or coal to maintain your baking temperature during the day. Note: Be sure to check with any local regulations concerning the burning of wood or coal. Just be sure to allow plenty of open space in front of the oven for the oven tender to work his magic. My recommendation in this regard is the length of the peel plus 3-feet as minimum. Anything less, and someone is likely to end up wearing a hot pizza. Here is a neat trick if you can do it. Install the oven so the oven body is outside of the store and just the front of the oven is inside of the store. A simple cinder block bump-out can be constructed to enclose the oven body and protect it from the elements.

Last edited:
Back