butter in dough...

• Thread starter Thread starter system
  • Start date Start date
Butter is used in the dough to help improve the flavor of the finished crust. This works especially well in doughs that are not given very much fermentation time, such as with take and bake type dough. It can also be pretty effective in deep dish or thick crusts too. With thin crusts the buttery flavor seems to be lost in the flavor of the cheese that is applied as a topping.
One place where I personally think butter really provides a great flavor note is with wheat, whole wheat, or multi-grain type of doughs/crusts. Here again, the contribution of the butter is in flavor only.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Last edited:
what percentage of butter you think would be a good amount to put in a dough how about eggs?? whats the point of putting eggs in a dough?.. also Tom… different subject…

by reducing the amount of salt and incresing the amount of oil in a dough, does the dough comes out more brownish and better texture??.. i though salt makes the pizza more crispy, sugar and oil more brownish… because sometimes i sit and try to come up a my own formula by balancing all the ingridiens, but it is good to know how each one affects the dough

i work for my brother-in-law… and last week we just started cutting back on the salt and adding a splash of oil 3 minutes before the dough is done, the pizza looks so much better and the color of it is nicer… when you lift a slice, it stays straigh…he is much happier with the dough now

sorry if i have too many questions at once lol

I would suggest starting with the addition of 3% butter or a high quality butter flavored margarine. No need to add any olive oil when adding the butter.
Salt has three functions in the dough. It controls the rate of dough fermentation (slows it down). Without any salt in the dough it would have a decided tendency to get very gassy very fast. Salt also affects the taste of the crust. With insufficient salt the finished crust will have a starchy taste. With too much salt the taste wil be salty. Typically, we see salt levels of around 1.5 to 1.75% of the flour weight used in pizza doughs. As for oil, the oil will contribute to a better, more appealing crust color. Since this color is a bit darker than that of crusts made without oil, or insufficient oil, if you bake a crust with oil and one without oil for the same length of time you will get a better bake on the crust with oil. This is what you are seeing with the crispier crust. Oil doesn’t give you a crispier crust, it just give you a better bake which results in a crispier crust.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Last edited:
Back