Continue to Site

Can I cook without trays in a below heated gas oven.

Of course you can. Try putting down some cornmeal on the pizza wheel before placing the crust on it and building the pie. Shimmy the uncooked pie into the oven and rotate as you would normally.

Last edited:
And set your temperature between 500 and 550F. The bake time will vary with the number of pizzas you’re managing in the oven, but if you just put one pizza in the oven you can expect about a 7-minute bake time, with five or more pizzas it could be closer to ten minutes. Be sure to broom out the oven after every 2 or 3 loads and to keep the oven debris at a minimum. Also, if you have sugar in your present dough formula you might want to try it once without the sugar when you’re baking right on the deck as this generally results in a crispier finished crust if this is what you are looking for.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Last edited:
And set your temperature between 500 and 550F. The bake time will vary with the number of pizzas you’re managing in the oven, but if you just put one pizza in the oven you can expect about a 7-minute bake time, with five or more pizzas it could be closer to ten minutes. Be sure to broom out the oven after every 2 or 3 loads and to keep the oven debris at a minimum. Also, if you have sugar in your present dough formula you might want to try it once without the sugar when you’re baking right on the deck as this generally results in a crispier finished crust if this is what you are looking for.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor
Thanks Tom, genuinely grateful for the advice. The oven is a lg Boggett stone base oven, currently they use trays and also put suger and canola oil in base. I want to get back to amore traditional base mix without sugar and ditch the trays if possible.

Last edited:
Of course you can. Try putting down some cornmeal on the pizza wheel before placing the crust on it and building the pie. Shimmy the uncooked pie into the oven and rotate as you would normally.
Thanks for the advice,very helpful. Cheers

Last edited:
In the last year, We have ditched the cornmeal and replaced it with semolina flour to lube our peels , it has been a great improvement for us all across the board.
The semolina works great for the pie sliding into the oven, and it does not burn as rapidly as cornmeal does, and if the oven does not get brushed immediately after removing the pizzas, it does not generate the acrid smoke that cornmeal can. the small amount that does meld with the crust adds a great bottom texture too,

One hint on ovens where the heat is from the bottom only, KEEP YOUR DOOR CLOSED! or you lose too much 'Top Heat" and you will not get the proper melt or color before you get a little too dark on the bottom.
I used to see this issue alot when bringing on new staff, they would be peeking all the time until their internal clock kicked in, and I’d see pizzas with a very dark bottom compared to the top

Last edited:
In the last year, We have ditched the cornmeal and replaced it with semolina flour to lube our peels , it has been a great improvement for us all across the board.
The semolina works great for the pie sliding into the oven, and it does not burn as rapidly as cornmeal does, and if the oven does not get brushed immediately after removing the pizzas, it does not generate the acrid smoke that cornmeal can. the small amount that does meld with the crust adds a great bottom texture too,

One hint on ovens where the heat is from the bottom only, KEEP YOUR DOOR CLOSED! or you lose too much 'Top Heat" and you will not get the proper melt or color before you get a little too dark on the bottom.
I used to see this issue alot when bringing on new staff, they would be peeking all the time until their internal clock kicked in, and I’d see pizzas with a very dark bottom compared to the top
Thanks for the information, I’ve heard that semolina is the way to go. Excuse my naivety but what kind of brush do you use to clean out the oven.

Last edited:
Back