Continue to Site

Canning products for customers to buy that are shelf stable.

Integraoligist

Wanted to know if any of you can your own products, like sauces, and sell them to your customers for home use?

I’m wanting to can my alfredo sauce, marinara sauce, hot sauces, and special seasoning blends… throw our logo on the label that I can print, and place them in my dining room for sale.

I recall reading on here a while ago that canning your own products and selling them at another location (like a grocery store) you’d have to get approved by the FDA or something and have all the nutritional facts on the label…. But I’m not looking to go THAT far. Just want to sell the stuff right out of the shop.

So would there be any type of issue and as for milk based sauces (like the alfredo) would I be able to keep it on a shelf and not have to refrigerate it until bought and opened by the customer?

As I have only canned a couple of times with my mother 25 years ago, I’m a bit rusty :mrgreen:
Thanks all!

Last edited:
Re: Canning products for customers to buy that are shelf sta

Cannning high acid foods, like tomato sauce is a different process than a protein item such as alfredo. You would probably have to have those types of things processed by a commercial canner. The laws are different in all states. In Utah, my State Extension Agency will test my recipe and tell my what type of process I need to sell it. This might be a good place for you to start.

Susan

Last edited:

Is a " State Extension Agency" like the Health Department? Or something totally different?

Last edited:

A State Extension Agency is affiliated with a state University and has information on Food Safety, agriculture and lots of other things. Just Google it and you should find one for your state.

Last edited:

well i finally got an email back from the State Extension office… and they said you can not can alfredo sauce, but you can can veggeis… and just gave me this website:
http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/

mmm extensive info there.

Last edited:
Back