Continue to Site

Chains ingredients

aj453

Does anyone know where I can find the ingredient list for the chains pizza? I would like to put together a ad with all the foreign sounding ingredients in the chain pizza compared to ours. I can find the nutrition information, but not the actual items.

Last edited:
I know they use L-cysteine, and of course the cheese will have some sort of caking agent on it. I am guessing the sauce will use some sort of corn syrup.

Last edited:
For what purpose? Do you think your customers will think anything of it or understand it?
I had similar flashes of “brillance” in the past by “outing” the chains on size, ingredients etc but then I thought my customers don’t go there anyway so what’s the point.
We just keep pushing that we only use the freshest and best quality ingredients without directing anything at competitors “perceived” lesser quality.
Highlight your strengths and push this barrow hard and forget what anyone else use.
Dave

Last edited:
48.png
aj453:
I know they use L-cysteine, and of course the cheese will have some sort of caking agent on it. I am guessing the sauce will use some sort of corn syrup.
Not sure where you are looking - but those ingredients are available on the websites of at least the big 3 - and probably all of the top 15 chains. I just looked at about 6 of them and the lists are all there.

For example:

http://www.dominos.com/pages/ingredients.jsp

Last edited:
I have to agree with wadave on this one. When ever I see advertisements that point out the other guy’s flaws it makes me think of political campaigns. I get the feeling of “I’m not as bad as the other guy (but I am still bad).” when I see those ads.

When customers tell me about other places trash talking about me, I reply “when someone needs to point out the faults of their competition what they really should be doing is looking at themselves.”

There must be something that makes your customers want your product over the other guy’s. Take what makes you unique and make it your focus. Put your unique selling point out there for everyone to see.

Last edited:
I agree with Dave… Just sell your product on its own merits and let the quality speak for itself. Also, why spend your hard earned money to put their names on your ad space. Never know who might misread the whole thing and next time they are looking for pizza remember that ad that talked about all the stuff in your pizzas! Keep it simple and straight forward. :mrgreen:

Sounds like you want them to see how great your food is . . . so keep the conversation affirming and energizing so your customers walk away with THAT impression over the mixed-up good about you/bad about them, not really sure what to think message. That is really the key here . . . what is the message you want your customers to receive, and how do you best deliver it.

Dave and some others last year some time had a discussion about marketing themselves and all the highlights and benefits of their own stores. It really sounds like a better idea. It has a different feel in my gut when I think about how to talk about your fresh ingredients, fresh pack tomatoes, dough make from scratch daily will all natural ingredients, no hard to pronounce chemical ingredients ever, 100% whole milk mozzarella grated daily with no “clumping additives” . . . . versus trying to make your competitor look bad. Build up the love and energy about your place and why they will feel better, look more beautiful and actually be a little bit smarter after eating your incredible hand crafted, gourmet, preservative-free pizza pies.

Last edited:
I have got to disagree with you guys on this. Not saying I am going to do anything with it. However, most people dont realize what they are eating, unless they are shown. Not to mention once they are shown it gives them an extra sense of value, ie whole foods. Pepsi is doing the same thing telling you their soda is made with real sugar. Just another way of showing why my product is better. Whole foods didnt get that big by serving the best tasting food. They educated their customers why it was better, and charged them for it

Last edited:
48.png
aj453:
Pepsi is doing the same thing telling you their soda is made with real sugar. Just another way of showing why my product is better.
Exactly everyone’s point, Pepsi are emphasising their strengths with real sugar, they are not listing Cokes ingredients. The superiority is just implied and therefore stronger.

Don’t give your competitors free advertising in your store or ads, it also shows you see them as a threat. Take the high ground it strive to be the best.

Last edited:
Everyone knows who these signs refer to but they don’t mention names.

Last edited:
I see your guys point on not listing them buy name which I wont do. My original question which RG answered was simply to see what they are using as I don’t know the specific names

Last edited:
We ran a comparison on our FB page that went like this: (and got positive comments)

"A while back, I had a request for nutritional info on our pizza. I went online and found a site at: http://www.caloriesperhour.com/index_food.php I was able to use this site and plug in our actual recipe for pizza and come up with some interesting info.

We use a high protein flour, fresh yeast, local honey, soy oil (no cholesterol, very low saturated fats), salt and water in our dough. That’s it. Our sauce contains crushed tomatoes, spices, a small amount of sugar. Cheese is a low moisture part-skim 100% Mozzarella.

Here is the info on one slice of our pizza:

Calories: 224
Protein: 13 grams
Fat: 7 grams
Carbs: 27 grams (carbs from sugars 1.3 grams)

Compare to a national chain:
Calories: 290
Protein: 12 grams
Fat:9 grams
Carbs:42 grams of carbs!!

(You can find all this stuff on the website mentioned above.)
So, what do you get from the national chain? 29% more calories, 29% more fat and 56% more carbs!!
With our pizza you do get 8% more protein which we think is a good thing."

Last edited:
Another thing to think about is people frequently have a negative reaction to heaing negative comments.
Think about the last time a prospective employee came through your door and inthe interview process kept telling you how stupid, unfair, mean or greedy their current or former boss is. You probably had a negative reaction. Ford does not spend a lot of time in their commercials trashing out Chevy, they list what they believe are their strong points and show a lot of attractive people smiling while enjoying their Ford, with an occasional reference to “the competition”.

Last edited:
Telling someone how lousy a pizza chain is, and why . . .runs the risk of that chain being the customer’s preferred choice, and the customer feeling criticized by association. Tell them their pizza choice is crap, and they get the impression that you are telling them THEY are crap.

Just tell them why they will be so much better off using your products. Use the imaginary “national chain” if you want . . . stick to a message about YOUR product and why the will love YOUR product . . . “we don;t use complicated multisyllabic ingredients like some national chains, only wholesome real ingredients that are good for your family”. . . . or something like that. Sure, list your ingredients and even ones you don’t use. “In your face” competitor confrontation is a big risk unless one has huge market credibility and cache already.

Last edited:
Back