Continue to Site

changing mixer voltage

NicksPizza

I have a p660 that it rated on data plate at 208-240v 3-ph. My electrician is looking it over and checked inside the top/head at the wiring. We are reviewing the electricity, and he thinks that if we need to, he can make a coupe change inside to the motor wiring so that it will work on 440V. I am really nervous making that sort of change without someone confirming that it is a successfully doable task. I don’t doubt his skill at all, just whether the motor is set to handle the higher voltage without smoking it.

Anyone know about these things?

Last edited:
I’ve posted before about a phase change motor. You can probably get one for around $700 - $800. Once installed, its connected to your in-house power panel, and your mixer is plugged into it. You start it first, then power on your mixer. It takes single phase and converts it to 3 phase. Far better solution than trying to re-wire your motor. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
I appeciate your reminding me about that. For this mixer, it is already 3 phase . . . only looking at changing the voltage to the motor, and not 1to3 or 3to1 phase change.

Last edited:
Thats just it. Get the motor and you don’t have to touch your mixer. Just connect it to the phase motor.

Last edited:
Ooops, so you already have 3 phase power to your building. I’m sure if the manual allows for changing the voltage, ie mine does. Check the name plate on the mixer or motor.

Last edited:
My electric guy says the 440 should be ‘reduced’ via transformer down to 208-240v.

Last edited:
Ok I am so not an electrician but doesnt a 440 3ph have four wires in it? If I remember correct that you do not even need a transformer for this one. Connect a single wire of the 3 hot 440 leads and the neutral ground…and the resulting power is a 240 3ph connection. I might be way off…would someone please correct me or verify this. I thought this change was the easy and cheap but still 100% safe option. Will someone with electrical background please show some insite here. Thanks!

My electric guy says the 3-phase is: 1phase=208, 2nd phase = 120 + 3rd phase = 120 (result=240). That’s why its referred as 208-240v. He says the 440 needs to be ‘stepped down’. If your building is ‘wired’ for 3 phase, then the ‘step down’ occurs at the transformer on the ‘pole.’ If the building was ‘wired’ for 3 phase, the electrician could just connect it into your breaker panel. Else not, you don’t have 3 phase power to your ‘breaker’ box.

IE…, I have one business that has 3 phase power to it. All 3 phase appliances run directly to the breaker panel, the same as 110v appliances and such; no big deal at all.

The other business only has single phase power to it, which is why I needed a ‘roto-phase’ motor to run 3 phase appliances.

Last edited:
The square root of 3 X 240 is the Y-connected, 3 phase voltage. The simple answer is yes, it can be connected to use 440V 3 phase.

(I was an engineer, engineering manager, then factory manager for a large manufacturer of transformers and switchgear for industrial and utilities.)

Last edited:
Back