Continue to Site

Cheap oven for low volume NY Style pizza

Hello,

I am looking for advice on a brand and type of oven for traditional thin crust NY style pizza. Do I need a deck oven such as Baker’s Pride for good results? Do single deck ovens produce good pizza (do they get hot enough)? What brand and type are best for true NY style thin crust?

I preparing a business plan to open a pub in London where I hope to also have (the only, just about!) true NY style pizza. I expect low volume as it will mainly be a pub not a pizza shop, and I won’t mind making people wait if necessary. But I do want true NY style pizza – I don’t want to just use a makeshift oven that can only produce something that tastes like it does when you make it at home in a normal oven.

Thanks so much for your help!

Guinevere

Last edited:
Hi Guinevere:

From what you describe the Bakers Pride oven In the single deck configuration should do your Job.The model 451 would be ideal.

George Mills

Last edited:
To contribute to George’s post, do keep in mind though, when using this deck oven, you’re going to need to keep an eye on the pizza while it’s baking. You can’t just place the pizza in the oven and go do something else until something tells you to take the pizza out of the oven. You’re probably going to be baking directly on the oven deck at 500 to 550F (no sugar in your dough formula). I’ve got a good N.Y. style dough formula posted in the RECIPE BANK if you need one. After putting the pizza in the oven, you’re going to need to begin moving the pizza around in the oven to get a uniform bake on the pizza. If your plans are to dress the pizza, put it into the oven, and go do something else, like tend the bar, then you might be better served with an air impingement oven. With this type of oven, you will put the dough skin on a special baking disk (Hearth Bake Disk/ www.lloydpans.com), dress it to the order, then place it onto the infeed side of the oven conveyor, the rest is fully automatic as it will exit the oven fully baked , every time, if you have set the oven up properly, and use a consistent quality dough. Like everything else the old adage of “GIGO” comes into play here too.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Last edited:
Excellent! Thank you both!

I will keep researching on my own, but I do like the idea of the impingement oven, so long as it can still produce true NY style pizza (which it sounds like it can). As long as these ovens get as hot as required, is there anything else to watch out for with the cheaper models (aside from wearing out sooner, etc)? What do you think of buying used - is that a bad idea? Do you think I’m better off with a cheaper model or a higher-grade model but used?

Again, I expect low volume (so that I shouldn’t put too much wear on a smaller/cheaper model). So, mainly I am concerned with ease of use and an oven that will help me make a good, traditional pie.

Thanks so much!

Last edited:
Also - one more question: with the impingement oven, I would need another oven for reheating I guess. But, with the Baker’s Pride I could reheat too, right?

I found this reheating thread: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=9009&view=previous

Interesting ideas there, but I’m thinking that I should make the pie whole, and reheat slices rather than making a slice at at a time, which seems like they might come out wrong.

Anyway, thanks!

Last edited:
Don’t worry about the wear issue, it will be the same regardless of which oven you opt for. A good used oven can be a good to great deal, but you need to know what you’re looking at to make the determination, and you also need to know that it has the correct finger configuration for your specific product mix. Yes, you can bake complete pizzas or just reheat slices in the same air impingement oven, but you will need to have it specifically configured for that. This means that your best option might be to look at buying new, or possibly reconditioned. Factory reconditioned ovens are a great deal, the only issue I have would be if they are available in your part of the world, again, research on your part will answer this question. Everything has a trade off, going back to George’s recommendation for a deck oven is still valid, it will do just about everything, and for the most part, one model fits all, BUT, it does require more human interaction to bake the pizzas.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Last edited:
Thanks so much again. If either of you (or anyone else) isn’t tired of answering my questions - I am still a bit confused as to why there is such a vast range of prices on single deck ovens that reach 500 degrees. I notice that some are electric and some gas. But other than this, I can’t figure out why for example the Bakers Pride 450 is about $7000 while the Bakers Pride PX-14 is under $1000. (It is smaller and lighter, of course, and probably has fewer features, but this is still a huge difference in price). Is it gas vs. electric? Do I need gas for good NY style pizza?

I am shopping for a London pub, so I’ve been looking at UK sites, and I have found something similar. The Italian Pizza Oven Double Deck 4x4 -12" BASIC44 is only £799.00+VAT and "Thermostats control the temperature between 50-500 C. "

Also, the CK0321 Fimar Mini Electric Double Deck Pizza Oven, Temp range: 50 - 500 DegC, is only £679.00 – but these may be cheap and electric I guess, should I avoid them if I want to make good quality pizza? (There is a CK0327 Fimar FGI4 Gas Single Deck Pizza Oven for £1399.00 at the same site, although it does not say how hot it gets).

I can wait and buy a more expensive oven (£3000-4000 or $7000 or something like this), or I can get going sooner if one of these would produce a good product. Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Hi: Guinevere

I can’t figure out why for example the Bakers Pride 450 is about $7000 while the Bakers Pride PX-14 is under $1000.

Reply:

Not to be a smart donkey but the PX 14 is a toy by comparison to the 451 The PX-14 weighs 49 LB the 451 1095 lb.

There is a small difference to the better with gas ovens but a good electric oven can bake an excellent pizza.

George Mills

Last edited:
Back