Continue to Site

Cheese Shredding Options

Jason_Waywell

I am wanting to make the switch to shredding my own cheese. I currently pay 2.41 and 2.45 for the blends I use, and block costs about $.15 less per pound, just for mozz. I think I am being screwed by sysco on my cheese prices.

Anyways, I am looking for a cheese shredding/dicing machine. I tell the owner we will be looking at spending $1k-$2k minimum, but he insists that you can get them for $600-$800. He is referring to something like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/GENERAL-COM...DDER-GSV112-/171474065637?hash=item27eca698e5

or this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Omcan-FGS12...hredder-New-/351105475322?hash=item51bf8462fa

These look like they would not be very fast at all, and would require you to cut your blocks up into a ton of small pieces. Can anyone comment here?

Our mixer is a 60qt Welbilt Varimixer with a #17 hub. It looks like my only option here is the Varimixer 312GS Shredder, with a #17 to #12 hub adapter. Anyone have experience with this? Would there be any difference in the Pelican Head vs the Varimixer? Basically im trying to spend less than $1000 here (varimixer head, adapter and blade come out to right around $1000), any help or advice would be appreciated.

Jason

Last edited:
We use a Stephan VCM44. It will “dice” 20 lbs in about 25 seconds. You can find them used for $2500-$3500. In our store, based on 15 cents per pound savings the machine pays for itself on cheese every six months or so… Plus we use it to make dough.

Last edited:
We also use a Hobart vcm the same as bodega 20 pounds in about 30 seconds it is worth every penny and then some and it can come in handy as a back up dough mixer if your main one goes down as we all know at some point in time they do.

Last edited:
We also use a Hobart vcm the same as bodega 20 pounds in about 30 seconds it is worth every penny and then some and it can come in handy as a back up dough mixer if your main one goes down as we all know at some point in time they do.
The first week I started managing, our mixer went down. So one other crew member and myself made 90lbs of dough by hand. Was not a fun day. My main problems are space, and price. The owner doesnt want to spend more than $1000. If we had more space and the budget to justify getting a HCM/VCM, then yes, I wouldn’t hesitate. But as it stands, it seems my only option is the Varimixer head right?

We are debating relocating in the future (1-2 years) and will buy all new hardware, including ovens and mixers/VCM’s and whatnot, but for now im looking to reduce food/paper costs as much as I can without breaking the bank, which is limited at the moment. Ive already brought them down from about 50-60% (old management/owners) to just under 30% (myself and the new owner), cheese is the next thing I want to tackle. I want to get to sub 20% if at all possible.

Last edited:
Back