Continue to Site

Chicago bound..

Repeating my Chicagoland trek I did 4 years ago for spring break. I plan on shoving several frozen pies from Lou Malnattis and Monicals in my trunk for safe travel back to CO. Beer will also accompany me back.

What pizza joints (or other food) should I seek out? Staying in Naperville but venturing down to the Navy peer one day etc. Super fast trip though - only Tuesday and Wednesday out exploring.

Last edited:
On the recommendation of someone from this site, I stopped at a portillos for a Chicago dog. The food was great but the business lesson was fantastic. It was an incredibly busy and well run operation and I would suggest checking it out.

Last edited:
Repeating my Chicagoland trek I did 4 years ago for spring break. I plan on shoving several frozen pies from Lou Malnattis and Monicals in my trunk for safe travel back to CO. Beer will also accompany me back.

What pizza joints (or other food) should I seek out? Staying in Naperville but venturing down to the Navy peer one day etc. Super fast trip though - only Tuesday and Wednesday out exploring.
From Chicago so…

Portillo’s for Italian Beef. I prefer Johnnie’s Beef but it won’t be near where you’re going.
Pizano’s for pizza. Order it deep or thin with sausage, garlic, and hot giardiniera peppers. Will change your life!
Pequod’s for pizza. Carmelized crust, very solid.
Piece for pizza/house brews.
Beers: Daisy Cutter, Zombie Dust, Oberon, Green Line, anything from Three Floyds Brewery, etc are all must try’s.
Best beer gardens: Kirkwood or Justin’s
Chophouse or Chicago Cut for steaks
Let me know if you need any other suggestions and enjoy!

Last edited:
On the recommendation of someone from this site, I stopped at a portillos for a Chicago dog. The food was great but the business lesson was fantastic. It was an incredibly busy and well run operation and I would suggest checking it out.
It may have been me telling you about Portillos…I ate myself sick with a dog and IB and god who knows what else.

Last edited:
From Chicago so…

Portillo’s for Italian Beef. I prefer Johnnie’s Beef but it won’t be near where you’re going.
Pizano’s for pizza. Order it deep or thin with sausage, garlic, and hot giardiniera peppers. Will change your life!
Pequod’s for pizza. Carmelized crust, very solid.
Piece for pizza/house brews.
Beers: Daisy Cutter, Zombie Dust, Oberon, Green Line, anything from Three Floyds Brewery, etc are all must try’s.
Best beer gardens: Kirkwood or Justin’s
Chophouse or Chicago Cut for steaks
Let me know if you need any other suggestions and enjoy!
Johnnie’s in Elmwood does not look too far off the beaten path…might have to check that one out. My wife is from Peoria area and we make a killer IB at home all the time…but nothing like getting it from the source!

Last edited:
It’s been a while, but also check these out;
Nancy’s (near north side) (deep-dish)
Gino’s (Magnificent Mile) (deep-dish)
Uno (Magnificent Mile) (deep-dish)
Due (Magnificent Mile) (deep-dish)
Beggar’s (south side mainly but there might be some north side stores by now) (traditional Chicago thin crust pizza)
Billy Goat Inn (made popular on SNL “cheese burger, cheese burger, cheese burger”) The original was located on lower Michigan Ave. by the Wrigley Building, and they also have a newer one at Navy Pier.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Last edited:
johnnies is the bomb!

If you find yourself around Wrigley stop by my place and get a real Chicago thin crust pizza.

If you want steak go to Gibson’s it has some old school charm and I have never had better service! Chicago has some amazing steak houses they are the best in the city. If you want more modern place RPM Steak blew me away a few months ago prob one of the best meals I’ve ever had.

if you want a real treat for pizza go to Morton Grove and eat at Burt’s Pizza just remember you have to order a day ahead of time. Piece is overrated…Pequods is alright. I’ve never had Pizanos and I live across the street form one. lol

Last edited:
johnnies is the bomb!

If you find yourself around Wrigley stop by my place and get a real Chicago thin crust pizza.

If you want steak go to Gibson’s it has some old school charm and I have never had better service! Chicago has some amazing steak houses they are the best in the city. If you want more modern place RPM Steak blew me away a few months ago prob one of the best meals I’ve ever had.

if you want a real treat for pizza go to Morton Grove and eat at Burt’s Pizza just remember you have to order a day ahead of time. Piece is overrated…Pequods is alright. I’ve never had Pizanos and I live across the street form one. lol
What is your place in Wrigley? I agree Piece is overrated but dig their beers and always packed. Pizano’s was started by Lou Malnati’s son Rudy. Same crust, just has a roaring 20’s/30’s theme, lots of Sinatra. Burt’s and Pequod’s if I remember correctly, were once affiliated. So many killer places to eat in Chicago, suburbs not so much but I’m a city guy. Cooper’s Hawk is solid in the burbs tho.

Last edited:
What is your place in Wrigley? I agree Piece is overrated but dig their beers and always packed. Pizano’s was started by Lou Malnati’s son Rudy. Same crust, just has a roaring 20’s/30’s theme, lots of Sinatra. Burt’s and Pequod’s if I remember correctly, were once affiliated. So many killer places to eat in Chicago, suburbs not so much but I’m a city guy. Cooper’s Hawk is solid in the burbs tho.
mmmmmmm Cooper’s Hawk! I’m not in Wrigley proper. I’m on Irving Park by Kedzie. Tano’s Pizzeria. Where are you at?

Last edited:
Back