Chicken Wings: homemade sauces or pre-made sauces???

Ric_Clint

Just looking for some advice on how to go about this. I’m gonna be deep frying my Chicken Wings instead of cooking them in the oven. I would like to have a pretty decent Wing business to go along with my Pizza business.

I’m gonna offer several “Wet Sauces” and several “Dry Rubs”:
*Wet Sauces: Mild, Hot, Teriyaki, General Tso’s, Honey BBQ, Honey Sriracha, Sweet Kicking Bourbon, Buffalo
*Dry Rub: Garlic Parmesan, Cajun, Lemon Pepper, Caribbean Jerk, Mango Chipotle, Cheddar Ranch

I’m just trying to figure out what is the best way to do this… so basically, I have most of my recipes for my Dry Rubs and all the ingredients are all in dry powder type form like…
  • kosher salt
  • sugar
  • brown sugar
  • paprika
  • ground black pepper
  • garlic powder
  • onion powder
  • dried onion flakes
  • cayenne pepper
  • cups sugar
  • turmeric
  • ground mustard powder
  • cumin
  • baking powder
  • dried thyme leaves
  • oregano
  • dried rosemary
But for the Wet Sauces, all the recipes I have found online to experiment and play around with, naturally contain liquid type ingredients (as opposed to the powder type in my Dry Rubs). Some of the ingredients would be along the lines of…
  • honey
  • olive oil
  • Sriracha
  • Butter
  • water
  • minced garlic
  • rice vinegar
  • sesame oil
  • soy sauce
  • Frank’s Red Hot Original
  • lime juice
  • freshly squeezed orange
Now at the beginning of this post, I listed the Wet Sauces that I want to use. Well, you can actually buy these pretty much anywhere at any Grocery Store already made by brands like Ken’s, Kikkoman, La Choy, Sweet Baby Ray’s, Frank’s, Lawry’s, KC Masterpiece, Iron Chef, etc.

My issue is that, with my Dry Rubs (since they all use dry ingredients) I can make up big batches of them and they should be able to keep for a long time just sitting on a shelf in my backroom from what I understand (if I’m wrong please correct me - I don’t want to be killing people)… but with my Wet Sauces, I believe they all need to be cooked or heated on a stove to get them blended correctly (not sure if this is necessary or not though?). And I don’t know how long they would keep… one guy that has a Wing shop told me all of his homemade sauces only keep for 7-10 days but from other people I have heard longer life spans of like 30-45 days… so I don’t know?).

So I’m wondering if I would just be better off to just go ahead with my Dry Rubs like I have planned… BUT, for my Wet Sauces, just go ahead and buy them already prepared from brand name companies?

Since I make all of my Dough and Pizza Sauces… I naturally wanted to make all off my Wing Sauces too, as to be more of a “everything is made from scratch pizzeria”. And I just wouldn’t want people thinking that all of my sauces are bought already brand name pre-made. Or when it comes to Wings… does it really even matter if you use homemade vs. brand name sauces???

Thanks!

Last edited:
I’m in Buffalo NY, the official capital of the chicken wing 🙂 Some of our sauces are made in house, some we buy. We use Franks for our hot, Sweet Baby Rays for our smokehouse and honey BBQ. We make our own Medium, mild and BBQ sauces.

Last edited:
In general, are Dry Rubs as popular as Wet sauces or would most people rather just have Wet sauces instead?

Last edited:
I use some sauces straight from the bottle
Bbq, Asian, Teriyaki
I doctor up some sauces to make them my own
Buffalo
I also make some from scratch
Duck sauce, House dressing

Last edited:
wings are our 2nd most popular item next to thin crust pizza, we have 3 flavors: Buffalo is butter, hot sauce, and spices, bbq is doctored up open pit, and garlic parm is butter, garlic, parm, and spices. all are very popular.

Last edited:
Back