Continue to Site

Competitors Phone #

Crusher

One on my competitors just closed this week and they have had the same phone number for about 20 years. I was thinking of a way to get the number from them so when someone calls it rings over to us. I talked to the phone company and was told I would have to wait a year to get it unless the current owner sells it to me. I contacted him and asked him if he would consider selling me the number and his response was “what are you willing to pay” I don’t know what it is really worth, the last two pizza places in that space have failed. I am thinking of offering $200 for it, is that too low? The number is also very easy to remember.
-Crusher

Last edited:
48.png
Crusher:
I am thinking of offering $200 for it, is that too low? The number is also very easy to remember.
-Crusher
The worst that happens is he says, “No”. I imagine he’ll take it, though. I’m sure he doesn’t have people lining up to buy his phone number. 🙂

Last edited:
I think you would be better off just promoting your business and not scaming people into your place. Let them call the disconnected number and move on. I am sure some will say buy it but I think you will push away people by doing so and what about the extra time spent having to explain to all of these calls about who you are and why you have the number. Just make great pizza and people will call you and not the out of business place. :idea:

Another approach IF you were to buy it would be to put on a message that said something like XYZpizza is no longer in business we recommend Crusher’s Pizza place. They can be reached at 555-1212.

Last edited:
Daddio has a great suggestion. I was going to come here and say the whole idea is bad, but putting an answering machine/voice mail message on there is a great idea.

Back in the 90’s I helped convert 4 local pizza shops to Little Caesar’s, and we got the old phone numbers. It was a cluster fuck.

Customers don’t listen, they don’t understand the place changed hands, they don’t have a new menu,… The majority of orders go through normally, but the 5-10% who can’t seem to wrap their heads around the idea that a different place bought the phone number are a serious time sink.

Last edited:
To take it a step further, You could say something like if you stay on the line, we will be happy to forward your call to Crusher’s Pizza Place at 555-1212.

Last edited:
When I opened 12 years ago I got the phone number from the PJ’s that had been at the location before us. It was one of the best moves I made. Yes, there was some confusion but it was well worth it.

I like the suggestion of the answering message.

Last edited:
I think if you got the number at a fair price, it would be worth it then to tie it to a cloud service/auto attendant…

You could better explain the old biz closed & if they want the best pizza in town, “Press 1” and have the call transferred to your store’s number…

Last edited:
I like Daddio’s idea…

A few years ago i had some Domino’s clients change to Papa Johns and they kept their same numbers…Because folks do not pay attention they had so many complaints about their pizza changing…

Last edited:
I agree with Daddios direction here. This explains the whole situation and saves your time and expense of having to explain it all over and over again. Maybe offer a one time offer to all new customers that switch over and update their info in your pos system. :idea:

Answer phone message:-

Thank you for calling xxxcompany, sorry we are no longer in business, just like the previous pizza places that have started at this location. We could not compete with CrusherPizza’s quality, service and value. Give them a call on 555-4545.

Last edited:
We have done this in the past it works 50/100. You get half the customers from them and all of their bill collectors to me it was a huge hassel i was getting call after call after call for justin even when i would tell them that the store went out of business over and over theuy would still call me. You are going to pay 200 for a headache.

Last edited:
Different road, same destination…

If he has a data base, offer to purchase his customer list with addresses…not just the names.
Only purchase the last 9 months worth at a cost of $.10 per valid address.

I am sure he is after any money offered. This way he would be likely to offer more if you get more.

The phone number acquistion would seem like it would pay off in the long run. Remember…
anything worthwhile always has an effort behind it and a hurdle in front of it.

Last edited:
Back