converting formula from planetary to spiral

daniel_bothman

taking delivery today of a LBC KM-80 80k mixer and wanted to seek some guidance in converting our procedure from planetary to spiral.

our current method is 10 min, speed 1 in hobart 60qt.

the LBC has 2 speeds and reverse. any recommendation of changed or added steps? seems they recommended running in reverse to incorporate ingredients, then speed 1 for part of the time then speed 2 for the remainder.

what are your steps and times?

note: we use a biga preferment, so a measurable % of the dough has some development already.

thanks
(cross-posting in dough doctor section)

Last edited:
I only use speed one in my 2 speed Empire spiral mixer. I only changed two things when I switched from a planetary mixer. I reserve a small amount of water to pour into the edge of the bowl to help pick up the last of the flour after most of the water rand flour have mixed. I’m not sure if this would be necessary if I mixed closer to the capacity of my mixer, but I’m mixing 100 pounds of flour in a mixer that would handle 200. The second change is probably something I should have been doing in the planetary mixer, but I only started adding oil to the dough after the flour hydrated when I switched to the spiral mixer. Before I used to add oil to all of the rest of the ingredients at the start prior to adding flour. I mix for the same 10 minutes I did with my Hobart.

Last edited:
Here is our procedure for the spiral
  1. Hydrate yeast for 7 minutes ( we use active dry ) We hydrate it in a measuring cup with 100 degree water
  2. Add cold water to mixer (70 degrees)
  3. Add hydrated yeast to the cold water
  4. Add Flour
  5. Add salt and sugar
  6. Mix on slow for 2.4 ( about 2.5 minutes) This allows the flour to to absorb the water, salt, sugar and yeast. Helps keep flour from flying in the air.
  7. Add Oil when the mixer changes speed. ( leave a small amount of oil for the end )
  8. Mix on fast for 5.4 ( 5.5 minutes)
  9. With 30 seconds left add the remaining oil. This will keep the dough from sticking to the mixer
This is basically the Dough Doctors procedure.

Last edited:
As far as mixing time is concerned, since there are a number of variables involved such as design of the mixer and agitator, agitator speed, dough size to bowl capacity, dough absorption, etc. one cannot be specific regarding mixing time in your spiral as opposed to a planetary mixer but the rule is exactly the same for mixing in any spiral mixer as it is in a planetary mixer, just mix the dough until it takes on a smooth appearance and you’re good to go. Follow Pizza Pirates lead as shown above for assembling the dough and you’ll be just fine.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Last edited:
Back