Continue to Site

Conveyor gas or electric

• Thread starter Thread starter system
  • Start date Start date
S

system

I have a question concering conveyor pizza ovens. I recently opened a pizza shop, I am running two lincoln 1100 series double stacked. they are 3 phase electric. My question has to do with economy, Is it cheaper to run gas, and do gas ovens produce a better finished product than electric.
Eli

I recently had the opportunity to see a qmatic oven, they use a combination of gas and electric. You have to have a special pan but man does it cook a good pie.

hey, i manage a pizza shop that uses the same ovens you currently have. I prefer to use electric for the taste. I have eaten gas oven pizza before and they tend to have a “gas” taste and the start- up of the oven. this is just my observation. Have fun and good luck.

Last edited:
Gas is cheaper to operate than electric. Electric is cheaper to purchase than gas. So, if you’re short on start up money, sometimes you have to make a deal with yourself and sacrifice future utility bills to get gas ovens, or you may go into a space that does not have gas service available and have to go with the electric that way. Either way, if you can avoid electric ovens (for now, while gas prices are still managable) and go with the gas because you’ll save money. -J_r0kk

Last edited:
Gas is less costly to use in most parts of the nation. When gas burns (naturally combining with oxygen) there is some moisture produced. Therefor gas ovens tend to produce a moister product. Most bakers prefer gas for that reason as well as the cost factor. Electric ovens have a tendency to dry out the product. Gas ovens react faster when a load of cold pizzas are sent into the oven electric ovens are very slow to respon to the introduction of cold product.

Responding to the person who experienced a gas taste The older ovens introduced a substantial amount of unburned gas into the baking chamber and many people have made the same comment. The newer conveyor ovens burn 98 % of the gas an no one has ever indicated a offending taste.
George mills

Last edited:
I am satisfied presently with the cook of the electric ovens, but how cheaper is cheaper to run? will it save me a couple of hundred dollars a month? I ask because I bought these ovens second hand and as volume increases I may replace, our first months Electric bill was over $1000, of course I run a grill and an oven/proofer for baking subrolls. I guess I need to go to manufactyrer and figure out consubtion of gas per hour usage on gas oven, get local cost of gas and compare to kw usage on electric per hour and cost per kw.
Elias

somepizzaguy:
I recently had the opportunity to see a qmatic oven, they use a combination of gas and electric. You have to have a special pan but man does it cook a good pie.
I have a Q-Matic 36W and got it for the good bake.

I use 14 gauge black aniodized preforated at around 13% ( about 81 .25" holes in the 14" disk)
I understand you can use srcreens, may have to change the profile, ir time and temperature…
I think the disk give a better bake…
I am even considering experimenting with a solid disk, to perhaps get an even more deck like bake.
Otis

eli the pizza guy

I am satisfied presently with the cook of the electric ovens, but how cheaper is cheaper to run? Will it save me a couple of hundred dollars a month? I ask because I bought these ovens second hand and as volume increases I may replace, our first months Electric bill was over $1000.

Response:It is very difficult to make an assessment of the potential savings in cost gas to electric. There are a great many variables. How much product was produced, hours of operation, temperature of product in bound to the ovens, etc.

My wag is that your gas bill for the same period would have been $700.00

George Mills

Last edited:
Back