Continue to Site

conveyor oven expert(s) needed

• Thread starter Thread starter system
  • Start date Start date
S

system

saw a conveyor oven where the pizzas were put directly on the conveyor, no screen, no disk
looked like an ordinary conveyor

…what kind of conveyor oven is that…?

I think it was a Pizza Hut Express in an airport.

Otis

Or, since it was an express store (Kiosk) it very well could have been that the pizzas were being baked on par-baked crusts. The only reason why we need to put something under the pizzas in these types of ovens is to keep the dough from falling down into the open links of the conveyor. That is not a problem with par-baked crusts, so you don’t need to put anything under the pizza.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Last edited:
no , was not Picard or CTX…looked like a conventional impingment oven with the “chain link” conveyor belt, just like my Q-Matic…
I think I even heard the air movement of an impingement…
was thinking it had modulated heat and was turned way down…
and i may have been dreaming.
the concept seems doable…guess that is what Picard and CTX are doing with the hearth bake conveyors…
anybody got one.
I’ll have to check them out at the bext convention,

Otis

Hi Otis;
We have baked a lot of pizzas using the CTX/Middleby Hearth Bake oven. This oven uses a woven wire band, much like that used on commercial cookie and cracker ovens. If you look carefully at the bottom of any product baked on this type of band you will see what appears to be a herringbone pattern, caused by the woven wires that the band is constructed of. You will see this pattern on a lot of the commercial frozen pizzas too.
Tom Lehmann/TDD

Last edited:
I think Tom has the answer, pre baked crusts were being used.

Wire belt is available in many different configurations. A belt with very fine weave can accommodate product
without pan or screen . It is much more costly then the standard belting and not as efficient.
See a picture at http://www.alloywirebelt.com/spiral.ht

George Mills

Last edited:
I think Tom is right, par baked crust…
my question is how do they get the temperature low enough not to burn the crust ?
On my Q-Matic oven, it would burn quickly w/o a disk or screen,
Otis

Otis;
Remember, with a par-baked crust, all you need to do is to heat, not bake the crust, but the toppings still need to be fully baked, so…we just change the finger configuration to give a little less bottom heat (maybe a radiant panel or two) but we pretty well keep the top finger configuration normal. Your oven is set up to fully bake from a raw dough state, so you would be getting too much bottom heat without a baking disk of some type. You just need to re-profile the oven specifically for the par-baked crusts when you bake without a pan/disk.
Tom Lehmann/TDD
Otis;
By the way, when you come on the cruise, be sure to bring your store/trailer pictures on a memory stick if you can. We’ll have a computer for my presentations so we can use it to bring up your pictures. If you don’t have a memory stick, please feel free to j-peg me your photos and I’ll put them on mine.
Tom

Last edited:
OK Tom, will do on the photos,

…those conveyors must have had very little bottom heat, if any, especially if the par baked crust is browned already,

you know how I like to try different stuff, I ran across White Chief flour, protein 11.8%, from Cereal Food processors, milled in Ogden Utah from a blend of selected Hard Wheats.
at 60% hydration, it works and performs well
Are you familiar with them ?
I have been using GM Harvest King, little more hydration, works well too.

BTW, how do you read those flour specifications and what do they mean ?
I’ll forward the one for White Chief flour that I have by e-mail to you.
thanks,
Otis

when I was making par-bakes, the crust was not brown at all…thats the trick, to just bake & set the cell structure…my customers sold mostly pepperoni & cheese @ a 4 minute bake…really couldn’t tell it was not freshly baked, as we used a “special” dough & process …one customer used a MM360…

Last edited:
The trick to making a good par-baked crust is in getting it completely baked, without developing much, if any crust color. This allows you to fiish baking the pizza for the longest time possible without getting excessive crust color. By longest baking time possible, I mean that the pizza will be allowed to bake for a sufficiently long time to fully heat the center of the crust along with the topping ingredients. If the crust has too much color on it when it goes to the oven for the final bake (as a pizza) you will end up short baking the pizza to the point where the toppings are just done, and the crust is just warm, but nicely colored…not the best presentation.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Last edited:
Back