Continue to Site

Conveyor oven vs. Deck Oven

drunkenpizza

Hi all,

This is my first post. I’ve been kinda surfing this forum for awhile. I’m looking at opening up a pizza shop in the local downtown area. Something super simple with just a walk up window since there is high volume foot traffic.

Here’s my question: Conveyor oven vs. Deck Oven???

I know that I love pizzas made in the deck ovens bc they get the extra crispy crust. But how much do one of these cost vs the more popular conveyor ovens? I’ve shopped the Baker’s Pride floor models and I think I’m going to have to get one with at least 4 decks. Are these the kind of ovens that use the pizza stones?

Besides buying the deck oven? What else am I looking at as far as equipment to hook it up?

I’ve worked in the restaurant industry for years, but more FOH positions. And I’m looking to open up my own spot. I’ve got a partner who will be my kitchen guy and I’ll be working the register and handling all the business end of stuff. Any information/advice is welcome! Thank you so much in advance for your help.

Ann

Last edited:
First, welcome to the boards!

Second, you really should just do some simple “searches” through these forum posts first. This topic has been discussed pretty extensively.

Last edited:
No doubt the east coast deck mafia will chime in. For my part, I would not look at anything other then conveyor ovens if you are expecting to do any volume. I would also do warmers like the Hatco models rather than looking at re-heating slices.

Last edited:
HI drunkenpizza

The below should answer your question about quality of product.

There is no question that for massive production conveyors win hands down.

Consistency also. You never have an over baked or under baked pizza with a conveyor oven.

You can train a person to bake pizza with a conveyor oven in five minutes or less.

Tom Lehmann » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:25 pm
Ravi;
I’ve had good experience with all of the NEW GENERATION of high efficiency air impingement ovens baking everything from thin to deep-dish pizzas side by side on the same conveyor at the same oven temperature, and al of the pizzas came out great. In fact, we have demonstrated this unique ability of these new ovens at many of the pizza shows over the past few years. However, with the Middleby-Marshall ovens, this only includes the Middleby -Marshall WOW oven. Other ovens in this elite group are the new XLT’s, Avantec, Edge, and Lincoln Fastbake. In conducting my bake test evaluations on these ovens I used the Hearth Bake Disks (cloud pattern) and dark colored deep-dish pans from <lloydpans.com> . If you opt for the air impingement oven make sure it is properly set up and configured to bake YOUR pizzas, and for added flexability, I would suggest ordering the oven with a split conveyor to provide you with two different baking time options in case they’re needed.
I’d probably go with a wide body oven with a 50/50 split.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor
Tom Lehmann

George Mills

Last edited:
Back