Continue to Site

Credit Card Min Purchase

robozig

Has anyone here implemented a minimum amount one must spend before they can use their credit/debit card?

Ours is set at $5.00. We did it because people were coming in just to buy a can of soda at just $.50 and when you factor in the processing costs we were actually losing money on the sale. (Or so my boss tells me).

Does that amount seem too high?

Last edited:
Well, it is against most merchant agreements but people do it anyway.

In addition to the percent charge (depending on card used) you will have a per transaction charge of 2 to 20 cents or so. This is what eats up profits. But requiring a minimum can get you into trouble and piss off customers.

I would be curious how many are doing this and whether they have had any problems.

Last edited:
i used to get pissed when this lady would get a single scoop of ice cream every other day 1.32$ pay with debit card never said anything just sucked it up then one day she came in and got a 80.00$ order of pizzas when we were slow maybe she would have spent it elsewhere if i made a big deal about it ?

Last edited:
I have heard tell of operators having a policy of something like 50 cents convenience charge for totals under a certain amount. I believe it is equally forbidden by the CC agreements, but gives the customers a choice . . . and you a hope of making SOME money on a small transaction.

Last edited:
I realize I am new to this forum however the wave of the future is “plastic cash” (oh I mean present day) I have no restrictions, how many low transactions do you really have with “plastic”?

Last edited:
i take the KRIS approach I smile and thank them profusly and hope things come full circle
I absulotly HATE when there is convenience charges and min. I have left a video store one time and refuse to go back…it has the perception of milking the customer even though we know its just trying to get our money back

Last edited:
60.png
gsstage3:
I realize I am new to this forum however the wave of the future is “plastic cash” (oh I mean present day) I have no restrictions, how many low transactions do you really have with “plastic”?
A LOT!! The orders for $10 and less will eat me alive in fees and specialty card premium fees. Man. $5 on a platinum money-back or miles card is pretty much costing me money every time. We have quite a few customers who will make that payment on that card every time. We explained once to a loyal customer (when he asked about our credit card costs) how it ended up costing us money out of pocket to make the $5.35 sale (with % food cost and labor, rent, etc.). He was absolutely astonished and decided he would pay with check or cash with small orders.

Last edited:
we have a $10.00 min for del and ask for debit card instead of charge card for in house the local wabbi jobbie (packi stores) some will carge 1 to 2 dollars to cover charges lower than $5.oo we even quit taking american express because of their charges they screw people both ways

Last edited:
I don’t have a min. I do have pretty good low fees, but still know I’m losing all margin when someone charges a soda.
But I’ve noticed that customers pretty regularly NOTICE that we don’t have a fee or a minimum, and they appreciate it, and they leave with a good feeling about my place.
In general, charge orders have a HIGHER average ticket (and tip better on deliveries), so I think of it as a cost of offering “easy payment” as a benefit of buying from us…

Last edited:
Hey, we dont have a credit card min here, but i have been to stores before were the min is AD$20!!! i find that the less they spend the cheaper my machine is. it all depends on the bank you are with i guess. Its up to you what you think should be charged. Hope it works out…

Back