Continue to Site

Cutler Oven???

timcos

So I am checking out this place for a Pizza store.

It has an oven in it…the ferris wheel type. The only name I could find on it was Cutler and a model number of K1755.

Is this good, bad, or no biggie.

They will sell me the oven or include it in the lease if I want.

Tim

Last edited:
I know nothing about it but their web sites seems to imply that they went out of business and are now back in…I am looking for similar oven and will check them out…

Last edited:
They used to ne Middleby Marshal, they are very good ovens. They are dependable and not a lot of maintenance. They certainly dont have the speed of a conveyer but are very popular here in Chicago. They were out of business but I just found someone in New York that manufactures them again.

Last edited:
fyi - google

http://www.bagelequipment.com/bagel-ovens.html

Bagel Oven

The real story about Revolving Bagel Ovens.

If your looking to buy a bagel oven, here is some important information you should know. Cutler Ovens are the best ovens for bagels. Although Cutler Oven Company is no longer in business, there are still a lot of used ones out there. Other manufacturers include, fish ovens, universal ovens, picard ovens, Baxter ovens, and about 5 other manufacturers. Again Cutler Ovens - formally Middleby Marshall Oven Company is the Cadillac of bagel ovens. Most oven manufacturers make a “standard” oven. These standard ovens are great for bakeries and other cooking applications, however to bake quality, consistent bagels you need a true BAGEL OVEN. Most manufactures sell bagel ovens which are their “standard” ovens with loads of options added to it making it a bagel oven. Some of these options included an extra burner, a gas system with a higher BTU rating than their standard oven, thicker oven walls or higher insulation in order to hold temperature for baking bagels. Most ovens are designed to bake at 350 - 400 degrees. Bagels require a bake temperature of 500 degrees. In addition a bagel oven requires higher recovery time, which means when you bake bagels any oven will loose temperature, especially when you bake in high volumes. Therefore your oven needs to recover temperature quickly.

Last edited:
Their web site says quote "It’s Back… Better Than EVER!

Introducing … The NEW & IMPROVED

CUTLER OVEN!

How do you think a fish compares or a Baxter…a friend and long time pizza and bagel maker was not a fan of the Baxter but did like the fish…any thoughts…?

Last edited:
That certainly is the oven in this place.

OK…so the temp is fine. 500 degrees.

Still can’t find many specs on it…such as… how fast it revolves…can this be changed?

Would this make a good pizza oven?

Last edited:
I have a Middleby Marshal rotating oven for 20 years now and it works great . It handles very large volume. In my opinion it makes a great pizza oven.

Last edited:
Hi Timcos;

About 30 years ago The revolving oven was very popular in the pizza industry.

When the air impingement conveyor oven came on the market They replaced most of those type ovens.

The revolving oven is used for pizza mostly by those baking very thick pizzas, often pies with crusts top and bottom that have to bake for much longer times. A20 minute bake is not unheard of

Some pizza shops use them for standard styles of pizzas.

That type oven was designed for batch baking in bakeries. They load up the decks with bread,bagels or some other product let it bake for a determined amount of time and then remove the product all at once. About any one who can tell time can bake that way.

As pizzas are baked to order and in that type oven, those pizzas, of varying sizes and with varying toppings, can take varying times to bake. That situation is different from batch baking. A highly skilled oven tender is required as they must remember which pizza they placed on which shelf and how long each individual pizza has been in there baking. Quite a task when say 15 or 20 or more pizzas placed on different shelves at different times are going round and round and the oven tender must take them out at just the right time.

George mills

Last edited:
As pizzas are baked to order and in that type oven said:
George,

Aren’t you really pointing out the weakness of the air impingement conveyor oven with this…As they are set up to bake all pizzas the same in one end and out the other. No matter how a customer may want, his pie cooked. I truly respect you and Tom who by your comments had me take longer look at air impingement conveyor ovens but I found that for what I wanted they were not the best choice for me. I may find out the hard way that rotating oven is too much for some to learn but I believe it gives you the best of both a deck and a conveyor oven. I like extra flexibility I can get from it. Yes, it will take some more skills to run the oven but some things are simply worth the extra effort…Again I appreciate the good banter about ovens, as it is a great way to learn and gather information.

Last edited:
Very nice. I have a very standard type pizza…all will cook the same in a square pan.

I guess I need to get more details on the actual oven to see if I can vary the rotation speed.

Last edited:
You can change the speed I just did it by changing the pulley on the motor. My rotation speed went from 1 min 45 secs down to 1 min.

Last edited:
Easygoer13 asks or states

Aren’t you really pointing out the weakness of the air impingement conveyor oven with this…As they are set up to bake all pizzas the same in one end and out the other. No matter how a customer may want, his pie cooked.

Most folks want their pie baked to perfection. I know many deck and other non conveyor oven users get requests for will done or not so well done. This was a common comment among the hundreds of opperators we demoed ovens for.

Actually most customers requesting well done was because the last pizza they had in the establishment was not completly baked. Conversley those wanting a lighter bake got an over baked pizza the last time.

Once th air impingment ovens were installed virtually all requests for well done or less done pizzas ceased. the customers just wanted the pizzas done to perfection every time.

George Mills

Last edited:
I rarely get a request for a well done pie - mostly because we have built our dough/time/temp to our MM 360…

I have changed the way some of the pies are built, as I prefer the end result - most notably, the heavily laden vegie pies - I put some toppings on the sauce & some on the cheese…just seems to bake better, in the alloted time…

If someone does request a well done pie - I simply put another screen behind the pie, thereby allowing the extra room for the tender to push it back w/o distrubing the others…

Last edited:
Patriot pizza states:

I rarely get a request for a well done pie - mostly because we have built our dough/time/temp to our MM 360…

The above confirms what we have found to be so in hundreds of shops. Once an operator switches to an air impingement conveyor oven requests for well done or less done pizzas pretty much cease. The pizzas are all baked just right.

George Mills

Last edited:
A revolving oven is the ultimate weapon in the Pizza or bread industry The product is moved through the oven for a perfect balance of heat to your product. The best of the best is the Middleby Marshal which is also Cutler, Faulds is also a great oven . The older ovens were a pour in insulation which was diatomaceous earth. Newer ovens are panle ovens with rockwool insulation. Cheaper not better ! IF the older oven was installed right you could have it blazing at 550 degrees all day and the side would be cool to the touch. Cost is what killed this market ! But from a baking standpoint NOTHING compares period.

Last edited:
Back