Continue to Site

Deck oven.Which ones to buy?Output?

misteroman

Think I’m going to use Decks as I will be there most of the time for the next year or so so I can control the quality which is why I originally was going to go with The LI 1450’s.My ?'s are as follows
1)Which models to consider?Seems like Bp or Blodgett or most popular.

2)I will have a 16" pie.How many will I be able to fit in there at one time?I’ve heard the larger ones can hold 5 18" pies at once.
If I get newer top of the line decks will I have a problem with recovery times?I had decks at my last place(10 yrs ago) and never noticed any problems, but I wasn’t that busy(2,500/wk 1 blodgett)
  1. What pans do you use?I had and the placed I copied had these very heavy trays that were well seasoned and black and nasty looking but were like that for many years.
4)How do you get your ovens to temp?I plan on opening at 10 am as The local GM plant has lunch at 10:55 so they get deliveries at 10:45.I plan on getting there at 9:30.Would 45 mins be enough warm up time.Do I just leave one at about 200 from the night before?

5)Is a newer deck better or worse then an older one?Newer is probably more efficient but does an older one have a better bake?
Thanks again.3-4 weeks to open :shock:
Derek

Last edited:
You are in for a treat, we just opened our 2nd restaurant and bought a new double stack blodgett. Compared to the older ovens in our first location they are real nice.

Ours hold 5 16" pies 6 14".

45 min is plenty of time to heat.

We haven’t really had any issues with the recovery. Our opening week of course we were slammed and they worked like a champ.

The newer oven is alot taller than our old ones. The depth is very deep so make sure to buy a long handled paddle (I would get a short too but some of our cooks prefer the longer)

One other trait which is new to me is the thermostat is in a cage type thing which really makes sense (our old one is exposed and really doesn’t make much sense.)

The doors are spring loaded which is nice.

There is a small gap beween the 2 ovens which is very handy. You can put a pizza there and it will keep it piping hot.

We paid right around 11500 for ours and it included shipping. (To the door)

I would get them asap we had to wait several weeks to have them shipped. Got them just a couple of days before open and wished we would have had them sooner. The first couple of days maybe even weeks they needed time to burn. They were letting off a wierd odor for a couple days. Probably just stuff burning off. Now they are fine.

We use screens.

Hope that helps and good luck to ya!

Why did you choose the Blodgetts over the BP’s?Also were your ovens new?11,500 seems like a greta price delivered if they are new.
Thanks
Derek

Last edited:
I see no difference between the BP’s I got a year ago, and the BP’s I used 20 years ago. Which I consider a good thing…
There are a couple sizes - get the deck size and you can figure out the capacity. I can fit six sixteens in each deck, and I don’t have the largest BP deck.
Ovens continue to get to temp for something like 3 hours. They’ll cook OK much sooner - but they will bake DIFFERENTLY until everythings cushy and hot. No problem though - just plan on getting to work at 7:30, and everything will be good 😉

Last edited:
For those of you that open a lunchtime, What do you do about the Deck and warmin it up? Do you leave it at 200’ overnight?I will get there at 930 and be open at 10.Obviously I probably won’t have a pizza in the oven until 10:15 so that will be 45 mins.Is that enough to get from 200 to 450 in that time?if it’s at 450 when I leave at midnight how long would it take to get to 200’ if left closed.Would it lose like 100’ an hr? More/less
Derek

Last edited:
Our first chef left our old Blodgett 981 on all night and we didn’t find until he left that this was totally unnecessary. A bigger oven might be different but we found it to be a waste of gas…

Last edited:
I remember being stressed to the max on the decision and finally had to make one. My recollection was they were both similiar. I liked the look of the blodgett better. Know my personality though I am sure it ended up being about the price.

I couldn’t be happier with em.

The model is blodgett 1048.

As for the warm up, I think you will be right on. We used to go in at 9:00 and they were ready to go by 10. But a little risky if you forget to do it right when you walk in.

When you get them try it out. We now go in at 6:00 to do prep so it has been quite some time since we had that warm up hour. (And it wasn’t with the blodgett)

My best advice to you is get your decision made quickly so you are sure to have your ovens in time. We cut it awfully close and it was painful waiting for them to come.

60.png
misteroman:
What is the total warm up time on one of these from say 80-425?
Thanks
derek
I think we’re up in about 45 min to 1 hr…

Last edited:
This is a little off topic, but I was wondering, is there a reason for you to open at 10:00? I only ask because we are sorting out our work hours and have been pretty well set on 11:00 from the get-go. Just figure that pizza is a commodity no one will eat before lunchtime.

Last edited:
60.png
struggle99:
This is a little off topic, but I was wondering, is there a reason for you to open at 10:00? I only ask because we are sorting out our work hours and have been pretty well set on 11:00 from the get-go. Just figure that pizza is a commodity no one will eat before lunchtime.
As I stated up in #4, I will be delivering to a GM plant nearby.They go on Lunch 10:55 so orders must be there by 10:45.Hopefully being employed there myself,People will order more from one of their own.There are approx 2,000 people there and about 1,300 That eat lunch at around 11am.Other then that I would defineately open at 11.My advice to you is to probably do the same.
Derek

Last edited:
1)Which models to consider?Seems like Bp or Blodgett or most popular.

Reply: The baker pride Y600 and Blodgett 1040 are excellent deck ovens

2)I will have a 16" pie.How many will I be able to fit in there at one time?

Reply: You can put 6 -16 in pizzas in either oven. decks are 60" X 36" but usually that would not be good practice. You should not be putting another pizza down on the deck where one was just removed. Some time should be allowed for that spot to recover its temperature. Most operators move the pizzas from spot to spot in the oven and some vacant spots are required to do that.

If I get newer top of the line decks will I have a problem with recovery times?

Reply: What do you consider a problem? You should allow any spot from which you have just removed a pizza time to recover its temperature.

How do you get your ovens to temp?I plan on opening at 10 am as The local GM plant has lunch at 10:55 so they get deliveries at 10:45.I plan on getting there at 9:30.Would 45 mins be enough warm up time.Do I just leave one at about 200 from the night before?

Reply: Depending on conditions it can take up to 3 hours to attain maximum heated condition. Pizzas can be baked prior to attaining maximum heat if its just a few. To really knock out production you need maximum heating to be achieved.
Note you will seldom have the temperature you dialed on the thermostat. That unit only indicates the temperature you wished to have.

5)Is a newer deck better or worse then an older one?Newer is probably more efficient but does an older one have a better bake?

Reply: The much older ovens had decks that had asbestos in them and operators claim they produced a better product than the current non asbestos decks.

Thanks again.3-4 weeks to open.

Reply Best get an order in that is about the lead time with many manufacturers.

George Mills

Last edited:
We open at 10 cuz why not… We are there prepping might as well take orders.

Oh yeah and have I mentioned…we are the only place in town who opens at 10. I usually go to the bank around 10:15 and chuckle all the way to the bank cuz the other joints are still home…asleep…and my crew is back at the shop making pizzas.

😛

Back