Deck Pizza Ovens

RickG

I have been using a stack of Blodgett 1060 gas ovens for about 20 years. I am considering new ovens. What deck oven are you using, currently and in the past. How do they compare to each other, and which do you prefer. Pros & Cons? We do about 70-90 pizzas per hour at peak time. I am considering a new set of Blodgett 1060’s, Marsal MB60’s and Marsal SD660/1060’s. We do have a display pizza kitchen and I do like the look of the MB series, however, production and performance is a priority. Any input is much appreciated.

Maybe a Hot Rocks oven?
It could offer you the stone bake you want plus put the ease of conveyor in your arsenal. Put a nice stone facade around it to satisfy your open kitchen

Thank you for your response. I did look at the Hot Rocks oven at the Atlantic City Pizza show. They are interesting, but $55k and lots of moving parts. Also, after 30 years, I’m not sure how my customers would receive the change from a traditional to conveyer oven.

Hey Rick G,

I have a NY pizza shop that’s about 1yr old now. We went with triple stack SD 660s. I can’t necessarily say we’re unhappy with them – but they certainly have their learning curve.

We rock at 550 all the time and it bakes a gorgeous pizza in about 7-8min when they’re hot and goes all the way up to 15min when the ovens are full and we’re cranking pizza after pizza.

Our pizzas always need to be rotated. I’ve personally never seen a properly cooked pizza out of a deck oven that didn’t need to be rotated. It might be a personal thing though. I’m adamant about 1 color all the way around.

Hope that helps!

-Michael

Michael, Thank you for your response. Do you have the fire brick installed on the top of the baking chamber? What ovens have you used in the past, and what’s the learning curve you mention. Marsal does advertise “no turning”, but I too have not seen a deck oven that will cook evenly.
Also, how do you reach into the top oven?

Rick

Last edited:
I had been using Marsal for quite some time. But after the last set of SD 1060 I will never buy another set. Nothing but issues. Purchased the set in 2019 and since then the factory has had to replace the door, door hinges, manifold, two thermostats, added a chute and 5 thermocouples. I finally gave up and went to bakers prides. Waste of 30k.

Steve, Thank you for your reply You have used them in the past, do you think this set were lemons? With all the issues with the ovens, I’m surprised that Marsal did not replace them. Let me ask about their performance. Marsal touts ‘no turning’, do you find that an accurate statement? How do they perform compared to the new Bakers Pride (Y602 I assume), and others you have used?
Rick

I would if I did not see the steady decline over the previous few years. I believe they where acquired in 2015 or 2016 by blodgett. In 2016 I purchased a double deck sd 1060 with fire brick. This was before they moved the factory from upstate new york. Those ovens were on par with what I had been used to for the previous 20 years. In 2017 I again bought another double deck sd 1060 with fire brick. This is post factory move and a number of issues arose. For starters the screws on the brackets for the fire brick where to large and we were not able to insert the bricks. Factory had to resend out proper brackets and stones. Two months later the manifold cracked. So in 2019 before I purchased a set I spoke to the factory reps to see if issues had all been addressed and the kinks were worked out so to speak. I took them at their word and went ahead a purchased. Worst mistake of my life.

In regards to cooking on the marsal. You will absolutely need to rotate pies. When the oven functions properly and the way they should be the put out a great pie and stones can maintain heat fairly well sine they are two inch in thickness. I prefer getting the fire brick SD series but after the last set I would not recommend to anyone they purchase these ovens.

I got lucky when I was introduced to the Veroforno Deck Oven! I have one of only a handful in the world. I wouldn’t give it up for anything. No hot spots…no turning…always the same baking time. I wish they still made them so I could recommend one to you.

Steve,
I think I will take a look at the BP Y602, possibly Y602BL DSP. I used the Y602’s back in the 90’s. I did not think they cooked as evenly as the Blodgett 1060’s. Do you feel the BP cook any different from the Marsal? Better/worse, Recovery during the crunch?
Rick

Last edited:
I think the Marsal is slightly better and that is why I used them for so many years. But for the premium pricing they charge and for so many errors its a no brainer. It was also really easy to find some used BP for a fraction of the costs. They are serious workhorses.

After 20 years we are replacing our Bakers Pride Y600’s. They’re great ovens but just can’t keep up with orders on Friday nights. After looking at a lot of different ovens we’re going with the PizzaMaster 900 series. It’s electric which I wouldn’t have considered even a few years ago but I Demi’s this oven and it’s really incredible. I was getting amazing my style baked in about 6 minutes. It’s a double deck that can hold 8 18” pizzas on each deck. That’s 160 pizzas an hour. I never would have thought to look at an electric oven but the new ones they have out are crazy. Just my 2 cents

We too went with a PizzMaster. The 934 based on space requirements. I also never thought we would use electric until we cooked on one at a pizza place in downtown Atlanta that let us cook some pies. The flexibility and customization is key. It actually reduced our cook time about 1:30-2 minutes per pie and cooked better than our 30 year old Blodgett deck ovens.

Back