Delivery Range/Area?

ChicagoThin

I am curious to find out for those of you that handle your own pizza delivery (not the use of third party services) how far out do you deliver? What is your range or distance?

We specialize in Chicago-style thin crust pizza and want to know your thoughts on keeping it hot, fresh and still crispy (not soft or soggy) crust.

Any thoughts and pointers on delivery, methods, equipment, pay, times, distances and any other pertinent details or input would be appreciated. Thanks!

We dont use a specific radius. We basically drew a polygon shape on a mapping software that sets a geofence. We like this much better than setting a specific range because 1 mile in a certain direction is alot different than 1 mile in another direction. It works very well for us

Google maps has (or at least it used to) a “drive time” feature. We set a flag for our store and drew the edges at 10 minutes at Friday dinner. Our looks like an amoeba! Hopefully not all deliveries are to the edge so our drivers should be able to take 3 runs an hour. We also try to add more deliveries to each run on busy nights as it’s more efficient to drive from one house to the next when they are only a few minutes apart rather than backtrack to the store to take them separate.

If you’re only scheduling one driver at a time, the larger your area is the more brutal splits (two deliveries ordered at the same time on opposite sides of your area) become to your customer service experience.

I just ordered vinyl delivery bags to replace some nylon ones I’d purchased. It was crazy how much moisture the nylon bags held in the fibers. Drivers started putting towels under and on top of the pizza to prevent the bags from making the boxes soggy.

Reactions: MSG
Interesting! Youre right about the moisture in nylon delivery bags. We are on vacation right now and we always make sure to wash and dry all of our delivery bags because they will get moldy if the bags are sitting in a pig pile with all that moisture and warmth from the summer months.
Where did you source the vinyl bags?

Last edited:
Back