Delivery Scheduling in Colder Weather

• Thread starter Thread starter system
  • Start date Start date
S

system

I am in the Northeast and am relatively new to delivery, but wouldn’t it make sense that deliveries pick-up when the weather gets worse. I know its a broad ?, but can anybody with some experience throw out a % increase in delivery biz during cold weather months. Should staffing double to accomodate this increase and increased delivery times?
Thanks for your help!
P

I am in northern Alberta Canada and I can tell you that the worse the weather the busier the deliveries. I am in an area where any staff is hard to get let alone a driver that knows what they are doing so I keep an eye on the kitchen and what the drivers have on the board and quote times for deliveries accordingly.

Last edited:
Daddio’s right… Just make sure you’re quoting good times, and if they’re getting long let the customer know before they even place the order. They’ll never get upset with you if you quote a long time and they still decide to order.

And as the weather gets worse, make sure your driver’s are staying safe and their cars are in good running condition. I always tell mine “it’s never worth your life to get a pizza to somebody 5 minutes faster.”

Couldn’t agree more. The faster the snow falls the more deliveries we get. I train my phone staff to pad the quote time. If a caller has an issue with the quoted time the server/driver informs the caller road conditions are not ideal and we’ll be their as soon and as safely as possible. If the caller still has a beef we tell them pick up would be a lot faster. 60% of the time the caller responds “But the roads are AWFUL, I’m not driving in this weather” No kidding? I normally run one more driver than usual in the winter months. That extra driver is expected to help with phones & cooking first and if we get backed up then he takes some runs.
I tell my drivers to slow down, brake earlier, and be safe. I also post signs saying the exact same thing by the dispatch computer & on the door the walk out when the head out for deliveries. A $20 pizza isn’t worth an injury or worse.

Last edited:
Perry,
What I think everybody's trying to say, is that you've got a decent customer base of delivery customers... hold on to your arse 'cause if you're not staffed when the white stuff comes down, it'll get handed to ya. -J_r0kk

Last edited:
Same thing here. I am also in Alberta (central) and always notice more deliveries not only when it snows but also if the temp drops. I also find that we get busier earlier and it tends to be with pickups people that would normaly go home get the kids and go out to eat will instead call in and pickup on their way home. I have an extra driver on and they help inside until we need them to deliver.

Last edited:
Back