Continue to Site

Dented sauce/tomato cans

Home_Town_Pizza

It seems every order I get from my supplier makes it harder and harder to do business with them. And, of course, the less I order from them because of it, the less important a customer I am to them.

Lately, it seems I’m more often getting dented sauce cans. None of the other cases of 10# can items I get from anywhere else come in dented. Before I change to another supplier that is going to be more expensive for the same product (I’ve priced shopped before), is this a common thing for sauce or tomato cans? I’m sure minor bumps are to be expected, but I’m getting cans in that would be hard to open with a can opener.

I haven’t bought this product from anyone else, so I don’t know if its a common thing or not. No idea if the other more expensive supplier will just be more of the same. But I know my mushrooms and black olives don’t look like this from Rest Depot. And I’ve seen those guys really flying around on a forklift.

Last edited:
From time to time we get dented cans, nothing to terrible. If it is a serious dent i send the entire case back, because if the seal on the can got damaged you won’t know until it is opened.

Sounds like your delivery driver is the problem, or possibly someone in the warehouse stocking the truck. I would call your rep and file a complaint, and let them know if it continues you will be taking all of your business to their competitor.

Last edited:
Yeah, I know it can happen. But I’ve had this before and complained and sent back for credit. One of my cases today was clearly made up of other rejects. The box was taped together and every can in it was severely dented. I can’t figure out any other way to take that other than a big “F you” or assuming that I’m too stupid to care. Maybe it’s just a test to see how much I’ll put up with. They’re going to get their answer. Unfortunately, they are the only supplier for a local pepperoni that I really don’t want to change from. I’ve even approached the company about buying directly from them so I can eliminate this supplier. But, understandably, they don’t want to tick off a huge account for them. It sucks when you don’t do enough volume to have any pull. I think I’m going to just space out my orders and just order the pepperoni. It has a long enough shelf life that I can just do big orders to meet my delivery minimum. I have already switched my cheese away from them for shady reasons I never got a satisfactory answer to.

Last edited:
Dented cans can be considered a health code violation, Cite from USDA food safety page here >>>>> http://www.fsis.usda.gov/wps/portal...zjeBcRBrncXtK4mH70n49Z7wpEOl24803pmCQOw!!/#10

Is it safe to use food from dented cans?
If a can containing food has a small dent, but is otherwise in good shape, the food should be safe to eat. Discard deeply dented cans. A deep dent is one that you can lay your finger into. Deep dents often have sharp points. A sharp dent on either the top or side seam can damage the seam and allow bacteria to enter the can. Discard any can with a deep dent on any seam.
So, maybe make a call to their HACCP compliance officer, and make a few comments telling them that you will not tolerate packaging that has integrity that is suspect, If they give you any problems, call your local inspector.
(I tend to not tolerate jaboonery from suppliers)

Last edited:
So, maybe make a call to their HACCP compliance officer…
Depending on the quote I get for a price difference, I don’t think it’s worth my time. If my money isn’t good enough to get me the product delivered as it’s supposed to be, then I’ll just get it somewhere else. That’s the standard my customers hold me to. I’ve brought up concerns before with other things before that were only halfway fixed. I’ll just get the minimum of what I absolutely have to and give the rest of my money somewhere else. I have a ton of stuff on my to do list and I’ve had to spend an afternoon and maybe more searching for replacement items.

Last edited:
As gotrocks mentioned I do believe it is a health code violation for cans to be damaged. You should be very careful you dont want to get someone sick. Dont be afraid to send it back and let your supplier know why you dont buy more from them and to not send you stuff like that or you will be sending it back.

Last edited:
I packaged 2 cases worth that I will be sending back for credit with my next order. I’m not trying to use these things. They make Daddio’s cans look like mint condition.

Last edited:
I packaged 2 cases worth that I will be sending back for credit with my next order. I’m not trying to use these things. They make Daddio’s cans look like mint condition.
Those cans are stuck together. Believe it or not the supplier tried to put the blame on Stanislaus.

I sent 2 cases back to the supplier only to have the same cases come on my next order. I now write BENT CANS on the case when I return them.

Last edited:
I just found my invoice from the last time I sent back 2 cases of dented cans. It was exactly 1 month ago. Thats probably what they did. Won’t affect me. I’m not ordering sauce from them anymore.

Last edited:
Call stanislaus. They will probably drop off free stuff for you as they don’t mess around.

Recently I called Saputo for a product that restaurant depot stopped carrying. They sent a rep to my store immediately , and the product was back in the store the following week

Last edited:
If the other supplier is more expensive simply talk to your sales rep and most likely they will adjust the price to get your business. I use 3 suppliers because I can play one off the other to get the best pricing.

Last edited:
If the other supplier is more expensive simply talk to your sales rep and most likely they will adjust the price to get your business. I use 3 suppliers because I can play one off the other to get the best pricing.
We use two suppliers for the same reason. I think it saves us several thousand dollars a year.

Last edited:
Call stanislaus. They will probably drop off free stuff for you as they don’t mess around.
I have to agree. I have been consistently impressed by this company since they first contacted me in response to a post I wrote on this forum several years ago. They got samples into our hands, we did taste tests and the results were convincing and we switched. We do price shop them from our two suppliers and there are differences but we do not buy anything else. Now if I could get them to send me free stuff instead of my manager! (he does the buying though haha)

Last edited:
Back