Continue to Site

desire dough temp

MRG2004

Hi to get the required dough temp you put in the temp water required and dough should come out at 80f out of mixer. When do I add the yeast and if the water added is colder do I mix the yeast with warm water. The yeast to be used is instant dry yeast fermipan. And if added chilled water will theyeast work or no. An anyone got any good dough recipes any help would be appreciated including water order to put ur Ingridients I the mixer. Thanks

Last edited:
Your recipe should cover this. Some dough/yeast mixture needs relative warmth and others use yeast that can be proofed in a refrigeration unit.

It may help if you tell us the type of yeast being used.

Last edited:
Dunkin Donuts uses a temperature compensation formula where air temp is measured, as is flour temperature, then they figure in the “Friction Factor” for the mixer, and to hit a target number by manipulating water temp by adding ice, or going warmer on water. I wish I never would have misplaced that formula.

I used to shoot for an 80-82 degree dough finish temp, I would use water around 40-45 degrees but I ran into some serious problems these last few weeks while mixing, My dough was the consistency of pancake batter about 75% through its mix time, and got worse as it was mixed further. completely unworkable, I couldn’t even form it into a ball it was so horrible. Heck, I’d pour it out of the mix bowl and watch it slide off the table and drip onto the floor it was so bad.

I now weigh out half my water weight in the form of ice cubes, so my water is 32 degrees when it hits the mixer, and there is still solid cubes mixing 6-7 minutes into the mix time.
Now the dough balls form up nicely, I just need an extra 24 hours retarding for my preferred flavor and texture to develop while being resting. We stretch our dough by hand, directly out of the cooler, we do not let it hit room temp before stretching.

I use IDY, 75% bouncer flour, 25% APF, and at 62% hydration. It performs spectacularly for the product that we want to serve. I cannot really share the rest of my formula, it took a bit to get it where I wanted it to be.

Last edited:
http://thinktank.pmq.com/threads/switching-from-active-dry-to-instant-dry-yeast.13329/

Scroll down on that thread and you’ll find the formula from Mr. Lehmann. That’s where he taught it to me, and switching over to that method of making dough was one of the best things we ever did.
Thanks, I got that formula stored and printed for future reference.
Our 50% ice and 50% water trick has been working great so far, I’ll need to see what happens in winter when our ambient temps and humidity levels drop significantly here. After 24 hours my dough balls are still very dense, yet they still stretch out nicely right out of the cooler. the flavor and texture are still what I want too as long as they sit for 24 hours before use. And I have no longer need to cross stack open dough boxes, they get covered right away now, so I do not come in in the morning and find dough boxes that someone forgot to cover the night before.

Last edited:
Back