Continue to Site

Difference between Calzone and Stromboli ?

cbaxter

forgive my ignorance on this, but what is the difference besides one has ricotta?

Last edited:
http://tinyurl.com/c7jsnx

http://tinyurl.com/ddc4vg

I’m not the forum police, but you sure are flooding these boards with a lot of crap… you should learn to not be so reliant on others. If this is how you’re going to be, good luck actually running a pizza place. With a little brains and the internet, you would be amazed at what you can find on your own.

Last edited:
48.png
steveo922:
http://tinyurl.com/c7jsnx

http://tinyurl.com/ddc4vg

I’m not the forum police, but you sure are flooding these boards with a lot of crap… you should learn to not be so reliant on others. If this is how you’re going to be, good luck actually running a pizza place. With a little brains and the internet, you would be amazed at what you can find on your own.
Steveo take a chill pill these are questions ask with a true desire to know the answer. If you don’t want to answer then don’t. I beleive there are some here that are not as agile when it comes to researching information on the internet as you are.

cbaxter feel free to ask any questions you need answers to. I am sure there are others out there that need the answers too but are afraid of getting responses like steveo just gave.

Last edited:
You are absolutely right. I was out of line, I’m having a bad day…

But with all do respect, anyone that is savvy enough to find this website, create a profile, and post a thread in this forum surely are agile enough to do a simple search on google or yahoo.

Last edited:
Yeah, I’m in the same boat as cbaxter. My shop offers strombolis, and I’ve been asked a number of times about calzones, but I don’t know the difference either.

And besides, this forum is designed to help answer the many varying questions of shop owners so we don’t have to waster our time searching about the internet for an answer that may or may not be reliable. The Think Tank is a great resource because there’s no BS, no salesmen pitching their product, just straight-up shop owners who are nice enough to share their experience. It’s a one-stop-shop where rookies like myself, or even the most experienced, can ask their dumb questions and bounce their dumb ideas off one another to find out if they really are dumb or not.

But, back on topic. Stromboli vs. Calzone. What is the difference?

–Smitty

Last edited:
“Stromboli are similar to but distinct from calzones, as calzones are pockets of dough filled with meat, cheese and vegetables, and stromboli can contain the same ingredients but are rolled into an oblong loaf (similar to a burrito) and sliced to serve. The common misconception is that ingredients are the primary difference between calzones and strombolis: many people mistakenly think calzones have ricotta or marinara and stromboli does not. In truth, the ingredients for both calzones and strombolis are at the discretion of the chef.”

“Calzones are similar to stromboli, but traditionally the two are distinct dishes, as stromboli usually contains mozzarella cheese and is served with marinara sauce on the side. Moreover, stromboli is rolled to resemble a loaf, whereas a calzone is folded to resemble a semicircle.”

Last edited:
Interesting.

Our strombolis and every stromboli I’ve ever had is actually made on a foot long bun, cooked open, then put together and cut into quarters (sometime halves), exactly like Dominoes oven baked sandwiches. Simply tomato sauce, sausage, onion, and cheese. Anything different would be weird.

Maybe that’s why some people from other parts of the country think we’re strange! 😛

–Smitty

Last edited:
48.png
SmittysPK:
or even the most experienced, can ask their dumb questions and bounce their dumb ideas off one another to find out if they really are dumb or not.–Smitty
That would be me! Table flipping…AHHHH! I’m branded for life!

We use a small dough ball for the calzone, ricotta upon request, served with a side of marinara. Good lunch special!

We use a large dough ball for the stromboli, no ricotta, brush the outside with garlic butter and sprinkle oregano on top, served with a side of marinara.

Make sure you slit the tops when cooking, depending on your oven. Do Not Use raw meats inside, will not cook thru. Limit the number of ingredients to be sure all cook thru…we try to stay under 4 or 5.

Last edited:
<<<<Think Tank is a great resource because there’s no BS, no salesmen pitching their product, just straight-up shop owners who are nice enough to share their experience.>>>>>

Last edited:
The way we make them:

A “zone” are a 12" skin folded in half with toppings, ricotta and mozz inside. The edges are rolled or worked together to close them and we score the top with a knife to open a couple of vents.

A “boli” is similar but the dough is roled into a log. No ricotta unless the customer orders it and banana pepper rings are added. Doug is also scored on top.

Last edited:
So a stromboli is in a log shape, and a calzone is more of a half moon pocket.

I’ve always wondered why mine were called Strombolis. The description reads “A traditional Italian Turnover made the Delicious Fox’s Way” and the fact that we make it like a half moon pocket to me would be more of a calzone then a stromboli. But it’s how fox has it labeled.

lol wonder if I should try to bring that up to Fox Sr.

Last edited:
Back