Continue to Site

Differences

eupher61

wa dave:
Other standard lines are not weighed due to vast number of multi topping signature pizzas. We do not have cheese + topping + topping + topping as a lot of you guys have.
Pizza makers are trained to how much topping, such as spacing for pepperoni etc.
Food costs are around 28% vs industry average of 35% here.
Dave
Dave,
I thought this was worthy of a new thread, even though I’m not sure what you really mean.

How is your typical pizza different from “cheese + topping + topping + topping as a lot of you guys have.”

Is this just how the Big 3 started doing things in Oz, so others adapted to it, or did the corporations adapt to a previously established norm of pizza?

Last edited:
Brad, that’s how I interpret it, but want to hear from da man himself. oh, WA man…sorry! :lol:

That is an interesting idea, no matter how it came about. I doubt it would work well in the US, given the established norm of build-your-own. It might make for selling more Spam and Eggplant, though…hmmm…

Last edited:
Steve
I cannot recall how pizzas started here by the chains but I do know that as long as I can remember they have been “pre-ordained” as Brad put it.
Looking at menus from other stores and the chains there is no “build your own” as seen a lot on many menu sites from the US.
With us people ask for the Currambine Special, BBQ Chicken, Aussie or what ever knowing what is on it (from our menu list) rather than ask for a “build your own” (although some people prefer to make up their own mix of toppings from scratch). I guess over the years it has developed to the stage where people get comfortable ordering of a set list believung that if it is a menu listed item it must be tried and true.
Even the major chains have all “named” pizzas here. Probably just a marketing gimmick that grew to be the accepted thing.
Dave

Last edited:
It’s exactly the same where I am. No one builds their own toppings list. Sometimes people ask for something to be left off a pizza or some extra (fill in the blank), but that may be only one order a week.

It saves a lot of time on the phone. We don’t have conversations like, “Hmm, let me see. I think I’ll have, uh, pepperoni and olives, no wait… maybe I’ll have, uh… Honey! what do you want on your pizza? Uh, hmm, sausage and, no wait. The kids don’t like sausage. Hmmm, OK. Do you have green peppers?. Hmm…” :mrgreen:

I think there’s an old marketing idea chiseled in stone somewhere that people don’t really know what they want. Going clothes shopping with your wife should illustrate that idea. They’ll know what they want when they see it, so we show them what they want.

Last edited:
I guess we are also too laid back and want things uncomplicated. Just as easy to ask for something that is tried and true thna to go to the hassle of thinking up our mixture … but then again so people do come up with some whacky combos :?
Dave

Last edited:
Back