Continue to Site

Digital Menu Boards

Static or changing?

I just installed 2 panel menu boards in my shops (48" LED HDMI TV’s I scored on Cyber Monday) and the great debate is should that just be static or change? The TV’s have a USB “picture viewer” mode and can play all files on the thumb drive with a myriad of dissolves, etc.

The better half is adamant about them just staying static as she is annoyed when she is somewhere reading a menu and all of a sudden it changes and you may have to wait for what you were in the middle of to come back.

This is the cheapest version of executing the digital menus but it is so easy and updates are FREE and easy. Just wondering what everyone thinks?

Here are my panels:https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/yourphotos?pid=6107275522826834194&oid=114158417698232058888 (I hope that worked?)

Last edited:
If they are not going to change like a slide show, maybe it would have been way less expensive to just have a backlit transparent slide as opposed to a TV?
How about a static display, but divide it in quarters on the screen?

I plan to set do a looping video made of still shots as opposed to a slide show, then I can have my slides with text & prices show longer, and my food picture items that I want highlighted to show for a shorter time.

Then I guess I can finally justify getting myself a Mac for video editing, right? But can I justify getting a $10K mac pro (without even a monitor or keyboard)? Doubtful!

Last edited:
The TV’s cost me $198 each and LED’s last forever so I am good on that end. Plus if I decide later to do something more exiting I am ready too…now to figure out how to show the pix on here?

Last edited:
we hung 5 48" Haiier LED, with the middle board that shows different pizzas but same outline just the picture rotates… looks nice.

Last edited:
What would be changing about them?

I agree with your better half - if you are talking about having menu text move/change - then no way, IMO, that doesn’t make any sense at all.

In fact, I don’t think I’ve ever seen a digital menu board where the menu itself moves/charges at all. The only thing that changes are sections of the board that are used to promote something or show pictures.

Last edited:
Both my stores have 2 46" menu TVs they are 90% stationary with some slides of pizza pictures that rotate

Last edited:
Although I do have USB slots on my TV’s, I use a router with a USB memory slot and ethernet cable to one TV, I find it easier to swap out memory sticks that way, and the router I use is one of my 3 unsecured guest access points. I’ve tried hacking into my own network, and cannot do it this way.

Last edited:
Back