Continue to Site

Do you use bakers % with your sauce recipe?

Integraoligist

I need to convert my small 5-cups tomato puree + ingredients to a large 5-#10 cans recipe and was wondering if I should be weighing out everything with %'s like dough?

Not really sure how to utilize this seeing at though in the small 5-cup batch I have 1tbs of this 1/2tsp of that and so on. Not heavy enough to actually weigh on my 0.1 increment scale yet.

Thoughts?
Thanks all!

Last edited:
A #10 can is 56 oz and 1 cup is 8 oz. by doing the math a #10 can has 7 cups. If you are wanting to use five #10 cans you are using 7 times the ingredients for your recipe. For your 1/2 tsp of what not you would need 3 1/2 tsp.

Last edited:
Actually, the best way to increase the size of your sauce batch is to use “true %”. To do this you simply weigh your existing batch and make a note of the weight, then divide the weight of each ingredient including the tomato puree by the TOTAL sauce weight. Once you have all of the percentages calculated all you need to do is to write down how much sauce you want to make (total weight of the sauce). Then the math will look like this:
new sauce weight X ingredient percent (press the percent key) and read the answer in the display window. Remember that the weight of each ingredient will be shown in the same weight measures as the new sauce weight is shown in.

I don’t recommend using weight measures (56-ounces) divided by cups (8-ounces) as a cup of tomato product seldom weighs 8-ounces as it would if it were water.
I hope this helps,
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Last edited:
I think his issue was that the original recipe is so small that many of the ingredients don’t even register on his scale (e.g. 1/2 tsp dried oregano). Of the ingredients that do register, that degree of inaccuracy can be wildly exaggerated when scaled to that extent- I’m imagining trying to weigh 1/2 tsp of a dried herb on a spring-type dough scale…

OP: there are a few tricks to scaling a recipe- it’s not always linear, and often the proportions need to be adjusted. This is especially true when dealing with things like seasonings, alcohol, chemical leaveners, thickeners, etc.

If it’s a pasta sauce recipe, then you’re also getting into issues of heat flow rates and surface to volume ratios, etc.

Scaling a recipe by a factor of two is generally not a problem. To do this, I would scale the tomatoes to a factor of two and the seasonings to a factor of 1.5 as a starting point. Even scaling up to a factor of four often works, but scaling to the degree that you’re looking at is not likely to be successful (even with an accurate scale).

You may get better results by finding a similar recipe that yields the amount of sauce you’re looking for and adjusting quantities from there, using the basic ratios of the original recipe. You’re more likely to find a recipe using six cans (one case) than five. If you’d like to post your small scale recipe, I’m sure some of us might be able to offer some suggestions as a starting point. Ultimately, it might take a bit of trial and error before you get it where you want it.

Keep in mind that it’s always easier to add than subtract (measuring and tracking each addition, of course).

Also remember that dried herbs will need time to hydrate and develop in the sauce before their full flavor is apparent. I’d give it at least six hours (overnight would be better), mix thoroughly and taste before making any adjustments.

Last edited:
A #10 can is 56 oz and 1 cup is 8 oz. by doing the math a #10 can has 7 cups. If you are wanting to use five #10 cans you are using 7 times the ingredients for your recipe. For your 1/2 tsp of what not you would need 3 1/2 tsp.
So this post is wrong. I wasn’t wearing my “OLD MAN GLASSES” so I looked in the wrong column of my conversion chart. The actual volume of a #10 is 13 cups so the math is definitely NOT what I posted.

As OSV mentioned there are typically 6 cans per case so I would either use 3 or 6 depending on how quickly you would go through your sauce. The most accurate method is, as Tom mentioned by weight, however accurately measured volumes SHOULD have a consistent weight so the scaling could be done by volume if that is your only option.

Last edited:
Back