Continue to Site

Dough Hook

aj453

My dough hook broke on my hobart. Hobart wants $300 for theirs, and I have found some knock offs on the internet for $125. Do anyone have any experience in this? Is is necessary to spend the extra for the hobart?

Last edited:
Just curious, how did it break? I couldn’t imagine our dough hook breaking even if I dropped it from atop of the roof 10 times over. And I always imagined, if someone tried to rob me the hook might be the first thing I grab in defense.

Last edited:
No idea. The dough was mixing and it just snapped. High up as well. Old mixer, not sure if it got cracked and over time has just weakened. That is a guess though

Last edited:
While not exactly a dough hook, we did purchase a brand new 60qt. SS dough bowl from some baker’s warehouse/wholesaler at a super price. I’ll have to look up the invoice (if possible), but seem to think they are located somewhere in Wisconsin. I remember it shipped overnight to me with no extra charges anyway.

Last edited:
Have you looked into getting it welded? I’ve seen a number of repaired (welded) dough hooks over the years that appeared to be working just fine. Not too much to loose by trying.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Last edited:
Tom Lehmann:
Have you looked into getting it welded? I’ve seen a number of repaired (welded) dough hooks over the years that appeared to be working just fine. Not too much to loose by trying.
Our hook had been welded by the revious owner of the shop (over 5 yeras ago). It works fine doing much more volume now.

Dave

Last edited:
Tom Lehmann:
in the first 9 months of being open i broke 4 dough hooks on my 20qt mixer… I had 2 of them Welded (with magnisiem, sp?) and have only used the 1 ever since… it’s been over 4 years. So i can attest that welding it makes it stronger if they do it right… btw they all broke in the same “weak” spot about 3" below the base where the turn starts.

Last edited:
Back