Continue to Site

Dough Shell Question

italy2003gt

I am opening a pizzeria, I know how to make sauce, pasta, etc… can make dough. not good at tossing I am learning. However, a friend of mine owns a pizza shell compnay and told me he will make me fresh shells par baked for 85 cents each which I think is a good price, what are your thoughts on this… Im new to this whole owning a pizzeria so go easy on me…

Last edited:
take the time to learn to hand toss, or buy a dough press…you will not be able to build a successful business using parbaked shells…its not that hard…

Last edited:
Parbaked dough is okay but making your own dough is going to give you a better taste. If you can afford a dough mixer and all the necessary tools needed to make your own dough you could save alot of money. Just off the top of my head I can tell you that for a 16" pie the dough cost will be between .50 and .60 cents less than what your friend will charge you. If you project selling 50 pies a day 7 days a week: .50 X 50 X 7 = $175.00 a week less food cost. Thats over $9000.00 savings each year!

Last edited:
In my opinion, having your own dough is part of your signature. If you use someone elses dough, then it will make you more like your friend down the street. And if I can learn how to make pizza by hand, anyone can.

Last edited:
I just seperated from what was essentially a Franchise where I was required to buy dough from the main store.
Now that Iam making my own dough I am selling MORE pizza than before. Learn to toss the dough yourself. It really isn’t that hard and you vcan keep your food cost down. I was paying .75 a ball and it costs me a little over .19 now.

Last edited:
Pizza of the Month:
Parbaked dough is okay but making your own dough is going to give you a better taste. If you can afford a dough mixer and all the necessary tools needed to make your own dough you could save alot of money. Just off the top of my head I can tell you that for a 16" pie the dough cost will be between .50 and .60 cents less than what your friend will charge you. If you project selling 50 pies a day 7 days a week: .50 X 50 X 7 = $175.00 a week less food cost. Thats over $9000.00 savings each year!
I agree! Loosing just a few cents per order might not seem like much, but it can really add up over time.

Back