Dough Trays

aj453

Ive always, just bought used dough trays as I come across them. Stores are busy enough and I’m tired of all the mix matching just going to replace them all. Looking at over 200. Anybody have a brand they recommend?

Last edited:
I’ve yet to find one that I like anywhere near as much as the MFG dough trays. They seal great until the corners and edges wear through. This usually happens around the three year mark. I’ve tried Doughmate and two others, one may have been something like ky manufacturing, and found they sucked from day one. They didn’t seal worth a crap and crosstacking them at anything other than 100% perpendicular would cause a stack to collapse. They were less prone to wearing through than the MFG trays, but the bottoms warped and getting dough scraped out cleanly was nearly impossible. The dough that remains did come out easily after it dried, unlike the MFG trays. MFG trays cost more but if you buy in quantity, your shipping will be included in the price per tray quote. Expect to add a couple bucks per tray from the prices the others quote. They’ll still be cheaper but it’s not worth it in my mind.

Last edited:
Why not just ball, flour and bag them on full sheet pans? This is what we do and I always wonder who has all this space in their walk in for all the different dough sizes, let alone doing volume in many of the sizes?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Why not just ball, flour and bag them on full sheet pans? This is what we do and I always wonder who has all this space in their walk in for all the different dough sizes, let alone doing volume in many of the sizes?

I do not follow what you are describing here. You take your batch of dough, ball it, place it onto sheet pans, wrap them with plastic bags and place in walkin on a rack?
…If that is the case your procedure isn’t much different than ours. We have an 8x10 walkin w/ 5 rolling dough racks. We sell 5 sizes of pizzas. Each rack is dedicated to 1 size. We cut, roll, pan spray both sides on a full sheet pan. Wrap with plastic wrap. Place on the next lowest rung on the dough rack. Rotate everything up each morning.
I would recommend looking for 24"x2000’ plastic wrap. You will save so much money using that over a plastic bag to wrap up dough trays.

Last edited:

This is what we do at our main store that is on the same premises as our commissary, we put the dough on the pan with a little bit of oil and plastic wrap on top. We’ll have a couple racks of dough in one walk in and in our main walk in we have one rack with personal dough on the top couple slots, then 12 inch, then 16/18 inch dough on the rest.

Last edited:
I do not follow what you are describing here. You take your batch of dough, ball it, place it onto sheet pans, wrap them with plastic bags and place in walkin on a rack?
…If that is the case your procedure isn’t much different than ours. We have an 8x10 walkin w/ 5 rolling dough racks. We sell 5 sizes of pizzas. Each rack is dedicated to 1 size. We cut, roll, pan spray both sides on a full sheet pan. Wrap with plastic wrap. Place on the next lowest rung on the dough rack. Rotate everything up each morning.
I would recommend looking for 24"x2000’ plastic wrap. You will save so much money using that over a plastic bag to wrap up dough trays.
Almost. We cut, ball, bag individually, place on full sheet pans and place on racks in the walk in

Last edited:
This is what we do at our main store that is on the same premises as our commissary, we put the dough on the pan with a little bit of oil and plastic wrap on top. We’ll have a couple racks of dough in one walk in and in our main walk in we have one rack with personal dough on the top couple slots, then 12 inch, then 16/18 inch dough on the rest.
We ball individually, but other than that, basically the same. A few racks in each walk in

Last edited:
We ball individually, but other than that, basically the same. A few racks in each walk in

Wow, seems like a lot of extra work and cost to bag the dough balls individually. Each trays gets 1 size of dough balls. Spray the tops, wrap w/ plastic wrap. This works for both high and low volume stores.
Do you throw away or reuse the bags? Any reason that I am not understanding that you do it this way?

Last edited:
Wow, seems like a lot of extra work and cost to bag the dough balls individually. Each trays gets 1 size of dough balls. Spray the tops, wrap w/ plastic wrap. This works for both high and low volume stores.
Do you throw away or reuse the bags? Any reason that I am not understanding that you do it this way?
Bags are less than a penny each, we can get 2 or 3 uses out of the bags. Helps to keep them from drying out and staying air tight. I’m sure both ways work just fine, it’s just the way we’ve done it for almost 10 years now

Last edited:
am I the only one that uses heavy duty bun pan rack covers so I never individually wrap any trays? I could never understand how busy operations can store dough trays…full size pans are much more space efficient imo

Last edited:
on a related note to the pan users out there…perforated vs non-perforated sheet pans?
I use the perforated bc I like that there is less moisture, but more cleanup with scraping which leads to damage over time. Standard trays(non-perforated) seem indestructible. thoughts?

Last edited:
We use non-perforated sheet pans. Never used the perforated before. Less moisture? We spray the bottoms of the pans w/ pan spray so the dough balls do not stick. Then wrap them up. Don’t get too much moisture. As long as the pans are sprayed enough we do not have to use a cutter/scraper at all to remove the dough from the pans.

Last edited:
Dough trays are not at all space inefficient in the walk in. I can stack as many or very close to as many in the same footprint and same height as can be stored on a sheet pan rack. The difference is, I can keep stacking them higher, to the 9’ ceiling of my walk in if I choose. I couldn’t fit the volume of dough I need in my walk in using sheet pan racks as I would lose all of the space above the 6 foot height of the racks. Where dough trays are VERY inefficient is when they are empty. 25 dough trays take up the same room, full or empty so my dishroom at the end of a Friday night is loaded with a couple hundred trays.

Last edited:
Back