Continue to Site

Dough

daisy1

After moving to my new location it has been a crazy busy thing… I am by far complaining here, but I feel as though I can not keep up with making dough. I normally make dough and don’t use it for at least 36 hrs, BUT since the move I cant keep up with it. I’m making 2 full batches (200#lbs) of dough daily and still have to use what I just made that morning. My main issue is if I end up having to use the dough I just made that morning, I feel the final product is just not as good as it would be if it sat 36 hrs.

I have been using IDY yeast should I switch to ADY yeast ??? I have never used ADY before and not sure if any of my other ingredients would have to be changed or would I continue to use same amounts of salt, sugar, oil & water, and if I did switch to ADY how much would I use

Last edited:
I don’t see why you would or should switch out the yeast…no benefit in taste/flavor/performance…we’ve always made dough in the afternoon and forecasted the need based on previous consumption…sounds like you might to crank out another batch or two to get a leg up…a
on some monster blowout days, we’ve had to make dough after 10 pm to catch up…extra dough tray won’t spoil…lol…rearrange your cooler if need be…use cold, cold water for longer lasting dough, just pull out & proof a few hours before the need…I’ve never liked the poolish(?) method, but that is a consideration too…

Last edited:
I don’t see why you would or should switch out the yeast…no benefit in taste/flavor/performance…we’ve always made dough in the afternoon and forecasted the need based on previous consumption…sounds like you might to crank out another batch or two to get a leg up…a
on some monster blowout days, we’ve had to make dough after 10 pm to catch up…extra dough tray won’t spoil…lol…rearrange your cooler if need be…use cold, cold water for longer lasting dough, just pull out & proof a few hours before the need…I’ve never liked the poolish(?) method, but that is a consideration too…
I thought about doing dough after closing only prob with that we are ALL so freaking exhausted that we just want to get out at closing. I’m using nothing but cold water, I let it run for about 20 minutes in morning prior to making dough

LOL what do you mean by “poolish method”

I have actually came in a few times real early to knock out 2 full batches, thinking I would have plenty but things have been sooo crazy busy its a good thing but damn…We have basically increased our weekly sales by 500% every week since the move

Last edited:
Youre the perfect candidate to buy dough, youd benefit big time, I buy dough its great its like having a prep person who does it right everytime. Id consider it if I was in your shoes

Last edited:
Youre the perfect candidate to buy dough, youd benefit big time, I buy dough its great its like having a prep person who does it right everytime. Id consider it if I was in your shoes
I would NEVER consider buying dough HAHA

Last edited:
December…buying dough is 3 or 4 times more expensive…that money comes right out of your pocket…don’t do dough ‘after’ closing but after the ‘rush’…store your water in the walk-in…it’ll be colder, or add say, 25% ice to it…dough will last 4 or 5 days easily…poolish(?sp) is making bulk dough to ferment, with 1/2 the flour, then the rest of the floir the next day…you could use that method, but…

Last edited:
I kinda feel as though we got off point. I was thinking is ADY better to use if Im going to be using the dough the same day. As stated I never used ADY before always IDY yeast and always have let my dough sit 36 hrs before using

Last edited:
Changing your yeast is not going to do much for you as far as giving you a better fermentation time. I would suggest you do what @bodegahwy was doing and have a person come in after close and pay them piece work per batch.

Last edited:
Daisy, as Daddio mentions, in our high season we have a dough maker who makes dough while we are closed. Sometimes it has been an employee that wants more hours, but most of the years it has been someone else who does not work regular shifts with us and can work late night or early morning. They are to have the job done and cleaned up by 10AM. Some have come in at midnight, others have come in early in the morning. We give them a key and we pay piece rate per batch. We post a chart of how many trays we want to have on hand for each size and they build to the chart after subtracting the number of trays still on hand.

The way our piece rate works out a dough maker who takes it pretty easy makes a decent hourly rate but if they are fast they can make good money. If we make dough during the shift we would be doing well to make 200 pounds of dough with less than three hours of labor. On our piece rate they would make $30 for that project. I would expect it to take them a bit under 2 hours if they were fast and we have had dough makers that would knock that out in 90 minutes or less. (Remember, since the store is closed they have no other distractions)

We have always been able to find someone looking for a regular par time gig like that. Sometimes we have covered the dough on 2-3 days a week on shift and had the dough maker working 4 or 5 days.

Last edited:
We make our dough after close, and I always make sure to take some dough from the previous batch and mix it in with the new batch, it gives me a more consistent product from batch to batch, and saves me about 12 hours of resting time for it to be usable quicker

Last edited:
Back