Continue to Site

Embarrassed to admit

• Thread starter Thread starter system
  • Start date Start date
S

system

I posted this in a different thread, but I think it could be addressed as a separate post.

I hate to admit that I use a sauce straight out of a bag, it is a Roma branded product. And I get alot of compliments about it. I also use a ‘just add waterâ€

“EmbarrassedPizzaGuy” said:
I posted this in a different thread, but I think it could be addressed as a separate post.

I hate to admit that I use a sauce straight out of a bag, it is a Roma branded product. And I get alot of compliments about it. I also use a ‘just add waterâ€

Last edited:

Last edited:
I would run trials and offer free samples to the regular customers. If they like the new product, go for it. In case they do not like the ‘NEW’ taste, forget about it. In other words, “The customers should decide.”

Last edited:
making your sauce or dough from scratch should not be a problem for you…plenty of info in the receipe bank as well as tips from the folks here…sauce is easy…buy a top prepared pizza sauce like Stanislaus, add some crushed tomatoes and you can get a seasoning packet from McClancy’s…still keeps it simple for the staff…

Your dough is easy too…you already add the water, just start w/50# of All Trumps flour, add 16 oz of sugar, 8-12 oz of salt and 1.5 - 2.5 Instant Dry Yeast and mix like your old reciepe…

Last edited:
I think the question needs to be how are your sales?

If your customers are loving what you are doing why go changing it?

I wouldn’t change both at the same time.

Certainly would look into making your own dough lots of $$ to save there. But the sauce. My experience has been consistancy becomes the problem. Back in the day when we made our own we would find clumps of this clumps of that. I use canned, a good one, and have no problem admitting it. We do make our own dough and it is awesome. I love the mixer in customer view and the comments on how mammoth the thing is. When we have tours for elementary kids we love to show them how it all works. The recipe is pretty much idiot proof. We save $$$$ But as for the sauce we have found one we love and wouldnt change it for anything.

We have 2 stores.

DFW;
So, are you embarrased to admit that you are successful in what you are doing? If you have a good thing going stay with it. Let your customers tell you if they like your food, and from what you say, it sounds like they do like it, bagged and premixed or not. If you really want to do something different, keep what you have and begin making a small quantity of your own dough and sauce to experiment with. When you have something that you are satisfied with try introducing it as a limited time menu item. Call it a “Pizza Classico” (or some other heart warming name) Made with our own hand crafted crust and a special, old world sauce (make it sound good). Then see if that boat will float. If it doesn’t, discontinue it, if it does you may want to think about keeping it on the menu as a regular item, or you might even want to replace your present dough and sauce with it. Survey your customers and follow their lead.
Your story reminds me of the story about the Duncan Hines cake mix. When it was first introduced it was the first complete cake mix (all you had to do was add water). The cake was very good, but the mix didn’t sel very well. Consumers were surveyed and it was discovered that the consumers felt like they were cheating their family by making a cake where all you had to add was water. As a result, the mix was pulled from the market and reformulated. This time it was reintroduced with a lot of fan fare as a two egg cake mix (recipes containing two eggs per cake were considered to be ultra premium by the consumer). The mix was a huge success, consumers loved it because now that they were adding those two eggs they felt better about buying the mix and making the cake, and the company…well…When they took out the eggs, they removed the single most expensive ingredient from the mix (lowering their cost) and they reintroduced the mix as a premium product with a premium price (remember, now it’s a two egg mix) and they were happy too. Consumers are a strange breed indeed. When you think you are giving them quality they will dispute that fact with you, and when you give them something else, they perceive it as quality and just love it.
Go figure!
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Last edited:
Anonymous:
Certainly would look into making your own dough lots of $$ to save there. But the sauce. My experience has been consistancy becomes the problem. Back in the day when we made our own we would find clumps of this clumps of that. I use canned, a good one, and have no problem admitting it. We do make our own dough and it is awesome. I love the mixer in customer view and the comments on how mammoth the thing is. When we have tours for elementary kids we love to show them how it all works. The recipe is pretty much idiot proof. We save $$$$ But as for the sauce we have found one we love and wouldnt change it for anything
I am not trying to convert you to self-mixed sauce, but it does seem to me that using a whisk attachment to your giant tourist attraction would make it ideal for a consistently mixed/blended sauce. 3 to 5 minutes with a great big planetary mixer on medium-high speed, and I’m thinking lump free sauce ready to tub up.

Last edited:
i can’t believe i’m saying this, BUT i wear woman’s underwear when i make pizzas.

Last edited:
48.png
NicksPizza:
Anonymous:
I am not trying to convert you to self-mixed sauce, but it does seem to me that using a whisk attachment to your giant tourist attraction would make it ideal for a consistently mixed/blended sauce. 3 to 5 minutes with a great big planetary mixer on medium-high speed, and I’m thinking lump free sauce ready to tub up.
i wouldn’t use the dough mixer…why dont you try a commercial cordless drill with an attachement similar to what drywall contractors use for mixing compound…make sure to use heavy duty 5gl plastic containers…i have found empty feta cheese that are thoroughly cleaned last for years compared to the rubbermaid type that crack after a few months…I went through dozens of ladles until I saw my contractor working and thought of it…you will be suprised but make sure you start with a slow speed!

Re: Embarrassed to admit, a perspective

230_2.png
Daddio:
I use a drill myself and if you are looking for a nfs approved bit look at http://www.lloydpans.com/pp11_sr.html it looks like a drywall mud mixing bit.
That’s actually my plan for this next month. We are making it through the end of the buildout before making any equipment changes . . . even this small. I suspect that we will be living rather large when we move into the POWER age 😃

The large whisk and rectagular 22 gallon tub are fine for what it is, but a boat motor mixing up 5 gallons gives me goosebumps.

Last edited:
Back