Continue to Site

Farm Boy Distributer

gobpile

Has anyone ever heard of Farm Boy Food Distributer? They showed up in our restaurant a couple of weeks ago. They have been bringing in freebies to us and they gave us their catalog of prices. My husband is impressed with their prices and items. They told us they specialize in pizza.

We are on their third sample of cheese. All cheeses have been really good. The first one was great - fun, stretchy, good hot and cold and you didn’t have to use as much cheese as it melted great - it was higher than what we were using. The second sample we lost in the shuffle. We told the staff not to use it until we tried it first or as a last resort. We got our butts kicked last week and staff had to use it.

Yesterday, we tried the third sample. It melted well without using our normal portion of cheese, it tasted great, smelled good and cooked good. The price is good.

Also, pre-sheeted dough vs. dough balls. We have been using pre-sheets but due to cost we are thinking about mixing our own dough. When we bought the restaurant, it came with a 50lb dough mixer and a dough press and air compressor. I think that making our own dough would be better than the pre-sheets. I’m a little concerned about the labor and extra costs for dough ball bags, etc.

Right now our local Pizza Hut is advertising “Try our New and Improved Hand Tossed Dough”. That’s what got us to thinking about our dough and how to make our pizzas better.

Last edited:
making your own dough will save you a little bit of money, as the actual cost of the dough is a bit less than $ .02/oz.

The labor it takes to mix/round the dough is minimal and can be easily worked into your daily prep routine. It will last for several days & lighten your freezer space.

It will take some practice to use the press, if you choose to, but learning to hand-toss is not that hard.

Your pizza “profile” will change when you make your own dough &/or use the press. The change can be good or not-so-good, but with practice & tweaking your system, you’ll have a better product in the long run.

Last edited:
We kept the employees from the former restaurant and they all know how to use the press as that’s what the former restaurant did. My daughter also knows how to use the press as she used one in her former job at Papa Johns.

Last edited:
Food Distributors tend to uncut everyone at first to get your business. Once they got you on board, they raise their prices a couple of weeks after you start with them. The trick is: know the market price of the item. if you are using multiple distributors, this can be easily done. Also, if an item they are selling is really cheap, they tend to make up the difference on other items.

List some of your items that you are currently buying and their prices, and we can give you an idea . Always curious to see what everyone is paying around the country for supplies.

Last edited:
Having sold food for a broadline distr b4, I have some biased opinions…

Salesmen have to run their routes, with a food cost in mind as well…I had to run a 75% cost, so some customers paid a little more on some items than others…

The trick, I believe, is to partner-up with one or two distributors and to be honest and loyal to them, as you feel they are loyal to you…

Distributors have fixed and variable costs, just as you do…I recall being told it costs $75 each time the driver stops & delivers your order.

Salesmen try to get a minimum of a $500 dollar - more is better, hence a little “fudge” room in their pricing…

Hope that helps…

Last edited:
Back