Continue to Site

Finished product

daisy1

This would be a question for Tom. My recipe hasn’t changed, but I have noticed that since we moved locations, my finished product is coming out not crisp.
I do cook on screens, and the bottom of the crust is cooked perfectly, but noticed the crust is very soft.
My recipe:
Water 442 oz
Flour 50#
Salt 13 oz
Sugar 12 oz
yeast 3 oz

Not sure if this is a result of my dough not getting enough rest period prior to using, I usually let rest in cooler for at least 36 hrs prior to using, but this morning I made a pizza with dough that had sat since Saturday & it was soft, the edge of the crust had some crispness to it, but center of whole pie was extremely soft and limp.

Should I possbly raise my water?? Seems like I had this issue years ago

Last edited:
Daisy;
I see two potential things to look at. One is to increase the dough absorption by 2% to see if that helps, remember that flour absorption is not a constant, it does change from time to time so it is not uncommon to need to make an adjustment occasionally. The other thing to look at is the finished dough temperature, remember what I always say “Without temperature control you cannot have effective dough management”. While I normally advocate a finished dough temperature of 80 to 85F I also realize that this temperature might not be the best for all shop conditions and dough management procedures, so the important thing is to do everything possible to strive to maintain a consistent finished dough temperature. Also, the sugar that you are adding could also be limiting the potential for crispiness in your finished crust.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Last edited:
Understand. I will lower my sugar and keep an eye on the temp

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Tom, after much stressing over this and many trial runs, it all boiled down to the water. I just ended up purchasing a filter for my sink. I did many different variations back & forth and concluded the water here at the new location is CRAP… I noticed a tremendous amount of rust build up on my strainer under the sink. So after installing the filter and making a fresh new batch this morning, I stuck with my original recipe and used filtered water. I was purchasing filtered water and did different variations of my recipe and found the filtered water got my dough back to normal

Last edited:
Tom, an update on my finished cooked pizza. After much researching and trial batches, I finally have it back to normal. Not only was it the water at which I am now bringing in water from my apartment which is located next door to my old location and is way cheaper than purchasing water, but it was also the sugar, for years I had used beet sugar (Pioneer) and when my local supplier closed I mentioned to you about the difference in sugar pioneer (beet) vs domino sugar (cane) there is a big difference when baking. So on that I am back to my normal final bake

Last edited:
Back