Continue to Site

flying with ingredients & dough

Crusher

I am going to compete at NAPICS this year. It’s my first time ever competing in any event. Does anyone have any tips on how to transport my ingredients, especially dough. I am probably going to drive the 8 hours to the show, but am considering flying. I am worried about how my cooler of ingredients will be handled during the flight. Also will the altitude change effect my dough?

Last edited:
I would not expect altitude during a flight to make any difference at all. I think it is all about temp.

Last edited:
I’ve been close to comperitors at all of the current and past pizza shows and I can attest to the fact that at one time or another at least some of the competitors have experienced major dough problems due to temperature abust during transport. As a competitor, I would give serious consideration to driving where at least you have some control over the dough in the event of a delay, and mis-connected baggage is somewhat less than a remote possibility when you transport it yourself. I would suggest buying or building a styrofoam chest (actually pretty easy), and then putting your dough balls and ingredients up in it and setting it aside for maybe 10 or 12-hours so you have a bit of extra time just in case of the unexpected. Experiment with the placement (location) and amount of dry ice included in the chest to find what is needed to keep the dough refrigerated (never frozen) while also keeping the ingredients in good condition too. I would think that a couple days of experimenting should provide you with information regarding the amount of dry ice to use, and where it should be placed in the chest. I have always suggested that the dough balls (if that is what you are using) be lightly oiled and placed into plastic bread bags (twist the open end to close and tuck the pony tail under the dough ball as you place it into the chest) don’t tie it closed as the dough balls are much easier to place into the chest when in the bags, they will also be easier to sort out when you arrive at the show, and hopefully place into a cooler that will be provided for your dough. We stored a lot of dough for the competitors when we worked the NAPICS Show.
Good Luck!
Win, lose or draw, enjoy the show and competition and say “hello” to Dave Smith (a great competitor in all regards) for me if you meet him there.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Last edited:
After organizing several pizza competitions, I can tell you that there have been many stories about lost, spilled, confiscated, etc. ingredients when competitors bring them through an airport.

If you’re able to drive, I’d recommend that route. If not, I’d suggest only bringing ingredients that absolutely cannot be found locally in Columbus, and carrying them on the plane with you in a small carry-on cooler.

As for dough, several competitors I know try to get to town a day or two early and use either the PMQ on-site kitchen or a local pizzeria (you would need to arrange this ahead of time) to make and store their dough.

Good luck!
Liz Barrett
PMQ

Last edited:
Back