For those who weigh cheese...by OZ or Gram?

Just curious what everyone else measures their cheese by.

I watched a webinar that said grams should be used not oz as a half ounce over in a high volume shop can be a significant amount. I know its petty but What do y’all use?

We use oz now but I not sure how the switchover would go.

We go by the ounce

3 oz small
4.5 oz medium
6 oz large
8 oz extra large

Every single pizza

3 oz per hoagie

1.5 oz per salad

Also weigh chicken bacon and steak plus wing sauces

When I switched to diced, Grande gave me some cups.
Back when I shredded The mozz I would weigh cheese in a bowl. 4, 6, 8, 10oz easier to remember than 57, 113, 171, 227

Im talking about weighing cheese to the gram would never work in real life at a pizza store

We weigh by ounce every pizza and most pizza scales are accurate to the half ounce measurement after a certain weight.

Last edited:
We Weigh – every pizza, every time. We are a recipe-based concept, not toppings-based, so our weights vary anywhere from one ounce to 15, often more than one kind, and sometimes cheese is split and layered between other ingredients. We Weigh is our internal motto and probably the single biggest challenge with staff who always seems to know better than owners and managers.

We use grams, which is not to say that I force every pizza to be “to the gram” (far from it), but the culture fostered tracking everything to the gram cuts down waste across the board.

We weigh everything that goes on the pizza by the ounce. Even the thin dough we roll out to order. I tell my employees that there are only to reason to not weigh them. You either own the place or you don’t want to work here anymore.

Back