Frustration with Revention

imnobody

6 years ago I bought a revention pos system. Overall I have been happy with the $23,000 purchase. They have the very best in tech support in my opinion.

However, the tech support is not the source of my frustration. About 2 months ago I started having issues with the memory in all of the stations. After a call to tech support it was determined that my computer system has no more memory because the hard drive was full.

Turns out my stations have a 4g hard drive, with 2 full gigs partitioned with absolutely nothing using it. So the entire windows system must reside on only 2 gigs of the 4g hard drive. When I asked about my options because my stations were freezing up and becoming quite disruptive to my day… they said I must upgrade and offered to give me a quote…

Why would Revention have a partition on there clearly having no use, and decidedly make the only choice I have available to me, that I must replace a system that works perfectly fine other than I need more memory.

Oh also I was also informed that I will no longer be able to use the system to take credit cards… we do $4000 a week thru our web site, 95% of of those orders are paid for on a credit card.

I would like to hear from anybody that might have any ideas of what I might try next.

Last edited:
6 years ago I bought a revention pos system…

I would like to hear from anybody that might have any ideas of what I might try next.
Hi there,
It would be really strange that you would have systems with only 4gb hard drives installed, and that being split in 2 partitions, even if they are using Windows XP version which is possible since you purchase your system 6 years ago.
But if that’s the case of having windows XP, then there is a possibility of having that much space, since for WinXP that space would be enough to run the system. The partition could have been setup for backup purposes and just never been used, that’s why it could be empty.

“The minimum hardware requirements for Windows XP Professional include: Pentium 233-megahertz (MHz) processor or faster (300 MHz is recommended) At least 64 megabytes (MB) of RAM (128 MB is recommended) At least 1.5 gigabytes (GB) of available space on the hard disk.”

However, by using windows XP you shouldn’t have been able to process credit cards since the beginning of 2017 where credit card companies shut down processing through win XP due their outdated SSL Certificates and they had started using TLS 1.1 & TLS 1.2.

Even if your system “works fine”, is not up to date with Industry’s Security Standards and that puts you and your business at risk.
As far as your “memory” issue, it’s not memory that your computer needs, but extra storage space (additional hard disk drive), or more specifically, you need merge/combine the 2 partitions together to create one drive with the total available space.
You could also see what options you have to reduce the size of your database so you can free up some additional space that way.

As Microsoft has ended their support for WinXP in April 2014, that also makes makes your system outdated and non-pci compliant.
Unfortunately, your only option at this point would be to upgrade your system to at least Windows 7 or even newer. And I would recommend going with Windows 10 (Even though the majority hates it), because Windows 7 End of Life is set for Jan 14th, 2020 if I remember correctly.

I know that these are not the news you were hoping to hear, but even if you manage to go by for a little while with workarounds, you will eventually be forced to upgrade.

Best of luck either way!
Steve

Last edited:
If you have any computer skills, you could use a program like partition magic to re-partition the drive back into one drive. Now they may be using the second drive for some unknown reason.

As for the CC issue, you are just screwed their. That is one of the reasons i switched off Revention last year.

Last edited:
We have Revention here. Installed almost 4 years ago.
I don’t know why you are jumping to the conclusion that he has Windows XP on his machines. Win 7 was released in 2009, so it is very likely he is running that. Revention has always been on the up and up re: PCI compliance and the like. I doubt they would have been still installing XP on systems 6 years ago.
Our systems are also partitioned. I didn’t look at it, but they are probably similar to what imnobody said above. I would agree with Steve, this is probably used for backup / imaging purposes.
As for credit cards, this is what we are experiencing also. The way I understand it is: Due to TLS 1.1 and 1.2 upgrades being put into effect at the END OF JUNE by most card companies it is very possible we will not be able to take credit cards after this deadline (if it is, in fact a deadline. That is questionable). This is due to the older software we are running that is claimed to not be compliant w/ TLS 1.2. So we need to upgrade software and purchase Ingenico or Verifone units for all stations in order to remove the POS from the scope of credit card transactions. We will also then be able to accept chip cards (we never did this upgrade). Vantiv and First Data are the processors they are integrated with (luckily we use one of them). So now it’s just getting them to call or email me back so I can get it ordered and installed on time…
As far as I can tell the install of the new units can be done relatively quickly before or after business hours.

Last edited:
We have Revention here. Installed almost 4 years ago.
I don’t know why you are jumping to the conclusion that he has Windows XP on his machines. Win 7 was released in 2009, so it is very likely he is running that. Revention has always been on the up and up re: PCI compliance and the like. I doubt they would have been still installing XP on systems 6 years ago.
Our systems are also partitioned. I didn’t look at it, but they are probably similar to what imnobody said above. I would agree with Steve, this is probably used for backup / imaging purposes.
As for credit cards, this is what we are experiencing also. The way I understand it is: Due to TLS 1.1 and 1.2 upgrades being put into effect at the END OF JUNE by most card companies it is very possible we will not be able to take credit cards after this deadline (if it is, in fact a deadline. That is questionable). This is due to the older software we are running that is claimed to not be compliant w/ TLS 1.2. So we need to upgrade software and purchase Ingenico or Verifone units for all stations in order to remove the POS from the scope of credit card transactions. We will also then be able to accept chip cards (we never did this upgrade). Vantiv and First Data are the processors they are integrated with (luckily we use one of them). So now it’s just getting them to call or email me back so I can get it ordered and installed on time…
As far as I can tell the install of the new units can be done relatively quickly before or after business hours.
I only jumped to the WinXP conclusion because Win7 wouldn’t run with this configuration (a 2gb partition) as these are the windows 7 min requirements:

Windows 7 system requirements
Applies to: Windows 7

If you want to run Windows 7 on your PC, here’s what it takes:

• []1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor
  • 1 gigabyte (GB) RAM (32-bit) or 2 GB RAM (64-bit)
  • 16 GB available hard disk space (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit)
  • DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM 1.0 or higher driver
Also, in 1.5 years windows 7 are going to stop being supported but today windows 7 machines are being sold. You bought your system 4 years ago which is when WinXp stopped being supported.
Imnobody however, bought his 2 years before its expiration date which was still being sold as it was a much easier configuration.
I might be wrong, but with 4gb hard drives it’s very unlikely that he could be using anything else other than WinXP.

On another note, First Data’s (Card Connect) deadline is scheduled for Monday the 18th. I don’t know about Vantiv but I assume that they will soon follow.
I also don’t know which Pin Pads will integrate with your system. I think you might have to ask Revention first about the devices they integrate with and give that information to your processing company.
One thing I know for sure is that this said TLS upgrade is going to be a nightmare for many until it all gets straightened out.

Last edited:
48.png

On another note, First Data’s (Card Connect) deadline is scheduled for Monday the 18th. I don’t know about Vantiv but I assume that they will soon follow.
I also don’t know which Pin Pads will integrate with your system. I think you might have to ask Revention first about the devices they integrate with and give that information to your processing company.
One thing I know for sure is that this said TLS upgrade is going to be a nightmare for many until it all gets straightened out.
According to my sales rep the software isn’t even ready to support First Data yet, so there is no way that they are going to have a deadline of today for that.
Yes, it is a nightmare. There is so much misinformation out there. I don’t even know who to believe…

Last edited:
Back