Fryer Oil, does brand matter?

Steve

We’re relatively new to frying foods. We baked for 7 years, been frying for about 2. We recently switched from a Perfect Fry to an AutoFry. We are experiencing smoke emitting into the kitchen that we didn’t have before. We use the Chefs Quality Oil from Restaurant Depot. It’s about $15 per jug. Starting to get to the point where we should be changing the oil twice a week, which brings me to my question. If we get a more expensive brand will the oil be less likely to emit smoke? Will it have a longer life?

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Did you buy your autofry new? If you got it used they have filters you need to change or they will smoke

Last edited:
You may want to check the oil temp versus the temp set point. If the oils hotter than you set it, the oil will smoke and the break down faster.

Last edited:
Did you buy your autofry new? If you got it used they have filters you need to change or they will smoke
Yes we bought it new. Figuring it’s definitely the oil due to the filter only being 3 weeks old and it goes away after we put fresh oil in. Did you/do you have one? How do you like it?

Last edited:
You may want to check the oil temp versus the temp set point. If the oils hotter than you set it, the oil will smoke and the break down faster.
So of the screen is reading 354 and temp is 360 o should contact MTI/AutoFry? Is there a allowable fluctuation to the temp, as in about within 5-19 degrees operating temp to display temp?

Last edited:
So of the screen is reading 354 and temp is 360 o should contact MTI/AutoFry? Is there a allowable fluctuation to the temp, as in about within 5-19 degrees operating temp to display temp?

Your oil has a burn point. You will need to find the burn point and set the temperature lower so it lasts longer.

Last edited:
We have 3 of them. I have always bought them used. Great for what they are. We have had problems over the years with them and nobody in our area will work on them. I’ve been fortunate that I have an electrical engineering student that works for me that sits on the phone with autofry and can take the wiring apart and fix it. Once he moves on and they break will be a different story

Last edited:
This may be off the topic, but if you care about quality stop using cheap fryer oil. The good stuff lasts at least twice as long, doesn’t transfer flavors, and doesn’t break down as easily and start smoking. I used to own a pizzeria but now am in sales. The great fried food restaurants I sell to all use the expensive stuff or the best one still uses beef fat.

Last edited:
This may be off the topic, but if you care about quality stop using cheap fryer oil. The good stuff lasts at least twice as long, doesn’t transfer flavors, and doesn’t break down as easily and start smoking. I used to own a pizzeria but now am in sales. The great fried food restaurants I sell to all use the expensive stuff or the best one still uses beef fat.
This was pretty much the answer I was hoping to get. We always care about quality but not knowing the difference from one brand to the next (besides price) is the issue. Can you suggest a few brands that may be found nationally?

Last edited:
Check with the manufacturer of the oil to find out what the smoke point is for your specific oil. When it comes to buying frying fats you pretty well get what you pay for. Look for a frying fat that has a higher smoke point than what you presently have.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Last edited:
Back