Continue to Site

Garlic Knots

Maset54

I was wondering if anyone offers garlic knots? How do you prepare them? Do you serve them instead of bread sticks?

Last edited:
Tom Lehmann:
Garlic knota are made from your regular pizza dough. I like to scale dough pieces at 1.5 to 2-ounces, depending upon how big you want to make them. Form into balls, and set aside to rest on the bench top or on a lightly floured sheet pan, lightly dust the dough balls with a little flour and cover with a sheet of plastic to prevent drying. After about 20 minutes, lightly dampen your hands and roll out each dough ball so it looks like a hot dog about 10-inches long (this is actually referred to as a “rope” or “string”). Then forn each rope into a simple overhand single knot, do not pull the knot tight, place onto a parchment paper lined sheet pan, allowing about 2-inches between the knots, lightly mist with water, and set aside to proof/rise for about 30 to 45-minutes, then bake at your regular pizza baking temperature until golden brown. Note: you will need to determine the correct baking time as they will bake faster than your pizzas. As soon as the knots come out of the oven, brush them with a commercial, garlic flavored butter or olive oil and sprinkle with a blend of powdered Parmesan and Romano cheese. You can also par-bake the rolls so they are just barely colored, then set on screens to cool, store at room temperature for up to 3 days. To use, just pass through the oven to get the desired crust color, and finish as described above. Serve with a dipping sauce.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Last edited:
We use a 21 oz. doughball - pulling it slightly rectangular, then cutting into 8 pcs - but we form ours pretzel style - spritz w/H20 & top w/our house spice…proof for a few hrs & bake @ a reduced time…cool & wrap in foil - when ordered - back into the oven 4 min. - unwrap - splash w/garlic spice oil & re-wrap - served w/red sauce

Last edited:
Sorry to “raise the dead thread”, but it is relevant. I promise.

What sort of texture are you all aiming at with your knots/pretzels? It is akin to the pizza collar, or more dense, like a soft pretzel? I have been getting very good taste/texture at a denser crumb, but the reheating takes a little longer than I want. I can go for the dinner roll texture, and they reheat faster, but not as satisfying to me.

I have not rolled them out full on to the customers, but am sampling them. Good feedback so far . . . need to par bake less so they are not as chewy crust.

I am tempted to go with a soda wash/blanch to get the browning and chew of pretzels if I go the soft pretzel route. Will be a little more work, but a satisfying product with homemade mustard sauce.

Last edited:
This isn’t truly garlic knots but there is a pizza place around here that has “Italian Egg Rolls”. They roll their dough thin and then fill with various toppings like sausage and cheese. They then roll them to look like egg rolls, cook until crispy, cover them with garlic butter and serve them as appetizers. They are really good - the main reason we visit the place.

Last edited:
Hijacking Alert!!! :lol:

Nick, you mentioned pretzels, and I am really wanting to do a pretzel myself… There aren’t a whole lot of things better than a nice chewy on the inside, crunchy on the outside, hot baked pretzel with a good mustard sauce…

However, we make all our own dough and breads for sandwiches, and really like the fact that we don’t purchase pre-made items… We have tried to make our own pretzels, using our in-house dough recipe and they just aren’t working out. I’m almost tempted to look for a pre-made product, but I’m wondering if any of you guys have had success making your own oven baked pretzels.

Last edited:
Back