Continue to Site

GAS VS. ELECTRIC

• Thread starter Thread starter system
  • Start date Start date
S

system

IN SETTING UP MY NEW STORE IS THERE ANY ADVANTAGE TO USING GAS VS ELECTRIC ON MY DEEP FRYER?
IF ITS GAS HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE TO GET UP TO TEMP?

i have gas, and it usually takes like 3 minutes to heat up. We leave it on all day cause we do alot of frying.

Last edited:
I believe that I read electric fryers have a more efficient conversion of energy to heating the oil. My experience is that the gas heats and recovers QUICK.

I am concerned about recovery time with electric fryers, and have not heard anyone sing their praises. Some might, I just haven’t heard them yet. You may find insurance differences since open flame tends to burn grease quicker than closed electric elements. I suspect it is more a matter of what you shop is set up for, and costs of running the energy source to the fryer.

Last edited:
depends on your btu(gas)kwh(elect)output
i have a 35# fryer which only has 90,000 btu that take 13-14 mins to heat up
i have 2-45# fryers @ 135,000 btu that take only 5 mins to heat up
my 65# fryer has 165,000 btu it takes about 7 mins
the best recovery is the 65# fryer,i can load it with 100 pcs of chicken and it will not drop much then turn on for about 10 secs then stop,it will only cycle 4-5 times in 20 mins each cycle lasting only 5-10 secs

Generally speaking the gas are better at holding temp and recovery.
But it will depend a lot on the fryer.
You’re going to want a 35# fryer atleast and look at a good frying depth. There’s 35#'ers out there that have a shallow depth for cooking.
Next I wouldn’t recommend anything in gas below 90,000 BTU
Before we only used Pitco model 14’s that were 120k BTU and not too expensive with the weight of the chain behind us. I think the new units are $1400

Since then I’ve found some Dean fryers model sr142gn that are slightly shallower but 105k BTU and cost me $699

We used to be able to drop 50 wings per pitco basket but with these Dean’s it’s maxed at about 35 per basket. Cold, room temp, (we turn off the pilot at night) to hot (375o)is about 8-9 minutes. Dropping 30 wings per basket ( 60 total fryer) we’re cooking in 9 minutes and the burner is off prior to being done. They’re nice units and the only drawback is that slightly ( 3/4 inch I think) shallower frying depth.

Last edited:
Typically gas costs LESS than electric. Gas is less efficient than electric, as others pointed out, more btus go up the flue than into the oil. However, in the end, your cost for gas will be less at the end of the year. Some things to consider, there are all types of btu inputs for gas, as someone pointed out. Go for higher input, better recovery, quicker cook etc, etc.

When I design a food facility, I will always choose gas over electric. If a manufacturer doesn’t offer gas, I switch manufacturers.

K

Back