Continue to Site

Girl Scout Cookie Time

Okay…my daughter is a GS and I WILL NEVER sell cookies again. Why…my one store is inner-city and there isn’t a GS troop anywhere. Well, I bought 2000.00 worth of cookies from her (all she gets is a GS Beach Towel) and when a customer wanted to pay for the cookies with a CC, I added a .25 fee for processing…I GOT A CALL FROM THE PITTSBURGH GS HEADQUARTERS TELLING ME THAT I COULDN’T SELL THEM FOR MORE THAN I PURCHASED THEM FOR.

Ok…I was not selling for a profit…I placed ads on all deliveries…I sent out faxes to my lunch customers…and for three years the program ran fine until someone wanted to complain that I charged more for using a CC.

Now…where this shop is located you wouldn’t want a child walking door to door selling cookies…by the end of the call they apoligized and thanked me for my efforts…but I never sold them since.

Who suffers…my daughters troop.

Read the boxes…you cannot legally resell these and can only be resold by the troop…but if your are Dairy Queen you can promoted them…hmmmmmm.

Last edited:
The web site FAQ offers this about cookie sales:
Q: When I buy Girl Scout Cookies, where does the money go?
A: With every purchase, approximately 70% of the proceeds stays in the local Girl Scout council to provide a portion of the resources needed to support Girl Scouting in that area, including a portion that goes directly to the group selling the cookies. The balance goes directly to the baker to pay for the cookies.

Isn’t a primary objective girl scouts selling cookies to introduce them (and then develop) to business?

Last edited:
My daughter was the #1 seller for the Farthest North Council in Fairbanks AK last year and has been in the top 5 for the last 5 or 6 years. She keeps all her order forms from the previous year and on the first day of sales, starts calling people that bought last time all the while interacting with people that she has just met and selling them cookies. When the cookies arrive our living room is packed with cookies and she and my wife start the deliveries. The skills she is developing in organization, customer relations and business are invaluable. These skills and the fact that she helps Girl Scouts continue to be a positive part of our community is what it is all about… it’s not the prizes.

Last edited:
Froggy…not sure if you are responding to my comments or in general. But as for the prizes…THAT WAS NOT my point…just an additional note. The Girls Scouts are working in the 80’s and have yet to move into the next century. Many of the big box stores will not even allow them in this area to sell in front of their stores…the safety of the children is not the same as before either…you no longer have “neighborhoods” you have “developments” filled with unkown people. However in our development we have 7 GS’s for 100 homes…you can’t just walk through a community like is was in our day and knock on doors.

By adding what I did for our daughters troop was to benefit them…I didn’t make a dime and the GS of A wanted to sanction me for adding a convenience fee for CC purchases…which ended up being 60% of the sales.

If the goal is to raise money for the troop to that they can do projects and excursions…then sobeit. But if you want to cut off your legs because you want me to absorb the cc fee…that’s just plain business ignorance.

The GS in my area is not like it was for my sister in our time…

Last edited:
I’m confused, how can they dictate what you sell them for? You bought them, you can do whatever you want with them. Right?

What could they possibly do to you if they didn’t like you selling them for more money? I understand you were not but hypothetically what if you charged a dollar more? What could they possibly do?

Last edited:
48.png
Freddy_Krugerrand:
I’m confused, how can they dictate what you sell them for? You bought them, you can do whatever you want with them. Right?

What could they possibly do to you if they didn’t like you selling them for more money? I understand you were not but hypothetically what if you charged a dollar more? What could they possibly do?
There are reasons why some products have the phrase “not for resale” on them… Think about it.

Last edited:
48.png
steveo922:
48.png
Freddy_Krugerrand:

There are reasons why some products have the phrase “not for resale” on them… Think about it.
It can say whatever it wants on them, it doesn’t make it a “law”. I would love to see the law that states that you can’t resell cookies in a box.

And if you want to get technical about it, technically the Girl Scouts are reselling them from the distributor that they purchased them from.

Last edited:
Back