Continue to Site

Giving up the sheeter

Crusher

I’ve used a sheeter to get my dough started for the last 7.5 years. It’s really the only way I’ve ever done it. We put a dough ball through the sheeters bottom set of rollers twice and it gets it about 75% to the correct size! then I dock the dough and stretch by hand. My sheeter is on its last leg and I feel like I can do this without it. I’ve practiced myself, but would need to train my whole staff to do it by hand. I’m worried about how much time might add. We typically make about 150 pizzas between 4-8 on Fridays. Anyone have any advice or experience on going from using a sheeter to without?

Last edited:
I can’t comment on the transition because I have never used a sheeter. On our biggest nights we do about double the volume you are mentioning and max out at about 100 per hour. Our normal level of business is about the same as you are doing. One very fast dough handler can do it. On a big night he will not be doing anything else. On an average night he can also sauce and cheese.

Last edited:
Crusher;
We teach the sheeter method (we refer to it as the “SCHEATER” method as it is a mix of both sheeting and hand opening of the dough) and is a way of cheating at hand opening the dough. With this method we can train those who are challanged at opening the dough by hand in as little as 30-minutes and have them opening dough balls like a pro. One of the biggest problems in opening the dough by hand is getting the dough skin too thin in the center section which can result in a floppy center. Using the sheeter pretty well eliminates this problem. The way I look at it is if you can train your people to correctly open a dough ball by hand, that’s the way to do it, but if you have multiple stores, have a lot of turn over, or just can’t get your people properly trained, the sheeter, when properly used can be a blessing.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Last edited:
Don’t literally drop the sheeter, tho. 6 (SIX!) instances of sheeters dropped on the floor during cleaning in the franchise I used to work at. They started chaining them to the wall. I think with them being so heavy, a little soap and water and what normally was a very tough piece of equipment to slide becomes a very easy one… right onto the floor. Anyway, that’s my opinion, I can’t figure any other way it has happened so often.

Anyway… good luck with whatever decision you make!

Last edited:
That is one of the biggest problems we’ve had here is trying to find qualified pizza makers that can do everything by hand. I end up making 100% of the pizza because it just never comes out the way I want. My suggestion would be to start the process of training your people on doing everything by hand then decide whether you can live without the sheeter.

Last edited:
Back