Continue to Site

Gloves

December

what kind of gloves are you buying? Price?

Vinyl,latex,powdered, powder free?

Last edited:
I use black, nitrile, powder free, made by exam-gard $5.00/Box in cases of 10
To me, Clear gloves look like a used condom when they are used.

Last edited:
What is every ones glove policy? We don’t require the use of them unless they have a cut or band aid of some sort. Our health departments prefer we don’t use them but the public seems to think its some kind of a requirement. Personally I can’t stand using them but the public may force my hand into making us use them.

Last edited:
What is every ones glove policy? We don’t require the use of them unless they have a cut or band aid of some sort. Our health departments prefer we don’t use them but the public seems to think its some kind of a requirement. Personally I can’t stand using them but the public may force my hand into making us use them.
We are the same. Health inspector says we don’t have to use them as the food gets cooked at a temp that kills of any bacteria.
When we first took over the shop none of the staff who came from the previous owner wore hats or gloves. We had some nasty comments from customers about them not wearing gloves. They didn’t believe us on what the health inspector said so we took the decision to wear them anyway. And caps became a part of the uniform for all staff.
One upside of wearing gloves is that you don’t go home with your hands smelling like onions and garlic.
Funny thing is you go to any restaurant with an open kitchen and see chefs handling various different foods not wearing gloves or cleaning hands between dishes prepared and people accept it as being OK but jump on the likes of a pizza shop.
We use clear powder free vinyl gloves and these cost around US$3 a box of 100
Dave

Last edited:
We use the cheap poly gloves the only thing we use them for is slices. I don’t like them I think they are a false sense of security unless you change them AND wash your hands all the time I believe that they have the opposite effect of what they are meant for. In California we are required to use them for ready to eat foods. The only thing we have here is salads I don’t make my staff wear them they all wash their hands before touching salad materials.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I will let it be known that I hate gloves, they cause way more issues than they have solved (Cite, Johns Hopkins)
We use them for RTE foods only as per my inspectors refusal to write a variance, if it is not ready to eat, no gloves used.

Last edited:
I use black, nitrile, powder free, made by exam-gard $5.00/Box in cases of 10
To me, Clear gloves look like a used condom when they are used.
Black nitrile?? Very cool and trendy. Anyway I hate wearing gloves!!! we re only required to wear them on things like salads etc.
I ve noticed my glove useage has skyrocketed lately. Tried using those cheap oversized poly gloves but my employees hated them.

Last edited:
We require cloves to be worn if there are cuts on the hands or nail polish. The standard of if you touch something you would not lick you wash your hands still applies.

Last edited:
We use the cheap poly gloves the only thing we use them for is slices. I don’t like them I think they are a false sense of security unless you change them AND wash your hands all the time I believe that they have the opposite effect of what they are meant for. In California we are required to use them for ready to eat foods. The only thing we have here is salads I don’t make my staff wear them they all wash their hands before touching salad materials.

Just so you know the ready to eat glove law was repealed. It was written by some politcal hack who didn’t anything about the restaurant business. It passed all the channels and was signed by brown because they will sign anything that is anti business. Luckily for us the law applied to bartenders mixing drinks and touching lemons and limes. This pissed off the alcohol industry so they kindly made the needed politcal ‘donations’ to make it go away.

Last edited:
Just so you know the ready to eat glove law was repealed. It was written by some politcal hack who didn’t anything about the restaurant business. It passed all the channels and was signed by brown because they will sign anything that is anti business. Luckily for us the law applied to bartenders mixing drinks and touching lemons and limes. This pissed off the alcohol industry so they kindly made the needed politcal ‘donations’ to make it go away.
Well that was quick. Yes I remember brown signing the glove law a couple years ago didn’t hear that it got repealed. Good to know a lot of people were pissed and I hated seeing such miss use of gloves too. Subway is a prime example we are located next door to one they don’t wash their hands often just put gloves on make sandwich it’s gross.

Last edited:
Now If an employee wants to wear gloves always, changing them after everything they do. Do you mind that?
I would not allow that practice because it would lead to serious misuse IMO.

Here is something I witnessed at a local fast food establishment;
I order a burger, I see a kid pushing a mop bucket through the kitchen and he is wearing food-handler gloves, the manager asks “Are you done cleaning the restrooms?” the employee answers that he just got done with that task, so the manager says “You’ve got an order up” so this kid pushes the mop bucket into the corner, and starts assembling my burger, while wearing the same food-handler gloves that he was wearing while cleaning the restrooms! (what do you think those gloves are contaminated with it at this point after cleaning public restrooms at a fast food establishment?)

I told the cashier that I need to speak to the manager, she asked why, Anyways after me being persistent that I need to speak with him, he gets called over, I explain what I just witnessed, and that I will need a refund and I will not be partaking in dining there this evening. His answer to all this; “They change gloves every 30 minutes” I explained again what just took place, and that those gloves are contaminated with fecal matter, urine, and who knows what else, and they were then used to handle food. He doubles down with “But, they change their gloves every 30 minutes” My reply was “well, I guess I picked the wrong 30 minute time slot then”

Think about this people, the manager has passed a serv-safe course, he holds a state license as a food manager, yet he could not understand the problem with an employee preparing food with gloves that were worn and contaminated while cleaning the restrooms.
So one day when my inspector stopped by for lunch, I told him what I saw, he informes me that he witnessed a female employee go to the restroom wearing gloves, and come back out wearing the same gloves, then proceed to handling food. and it has been an ongoing problem with blatant misuse.
So no, my employees only wear gloves for handling ready to eat food because I do not want them getting complacent

Last edited:
I would not allow that practice because it would lead to serious misuse IMO.

Here is something I witnessed at a local fast food establishment;
I order a burger, I see a kid pushing a mop bucket through the kitchen and he is wearing food-handler gloves, the manager asks “Are you done cleaning the restrooms?” the employee answers that he just got done with that task, so the manager says “You’ve got an order up” so this kid pushes the mop bucket into the corner, and starts assembling my burger, while wearing the same food-handler gloves that he was wearing while cleaning the restrooms! (what do you think those gloves are contaminated with it at this point after cleaning public restrooms at a fast food establishment?)

I told the cashier that I need to speak to the manager, she asked why, Anyways after me being persistent that I need to speak with him, he gets called over, I explain what I just witnessed, and that I will need a refund and I will not be partaking in dining there this evening. His answer to all this; “They change gloves every 30 minutes” I explained again what just took place, and that those gloves are contaminated with fecal matter, urine, and who knows what else, and they were then used to handle food. He doubles down with “But, they change their gloves every 30 minutes” My reply was “well, I guess I picked the wrong 30 minute time slot then”

Think about this people, the manager has passed a serv-safe course, he holds a state license as a food manager, yet he could not understand the problem with an employee preparing food with gloves that were worn and contaminated while cleaning the restrooms.
So one day when my inspector stopped by for lunch, I told him what I saw, he informes me that he witnessed a female employee go to the restroom wearing gloves, and come back out wearing the same gloves, then proceed to handling food. and it has been an ongoing problem with blatant misuse.
So no, my employees only wear gloves for handling ready to eat food because I do not want them getting complacent
Agree tottaly, I wasnt asking in condescending way, just wanted to make that known.
The cheapskate in me is noticing the crew wearing the blue nitrile gloves I buy as like a fashion accesory its starting to annoy me Im spending $200 a month on gloves that are promoting a false sense of cleanliness

Last edited:
Agree tottaly, I wasnt asking in condescending way, just wanted to make that known.
The cheapskate in me is noticing the crew wearing the blue nitrile gloves I buy as like a fashion accesory its starting to annoy me Im spending $200 a month on gloves that are promoting a false sense of cleanliness
I buy cheap sysco vinyls for the BOH people. the Black Nitrile gloves are only for working the cutting board with the BBQ meats where everything is visible to the customers

Blue looks a bit too “Medical” for me to want to use them (turn your head and cough)

Last edited:
Back