Going Green in Restaraunts

• Thread starter Thread starter system
  • Start date Start date
S

system

With windmills, low-energy homes, new forms of recycling and fuel-efficient cars, many restaraunt owners have taken conservation into their own hands. Do you think going “green” is something restaraunts should get into? Have you gone “green”? If so, how?

Right now there is a growing movement for the 100 mile diet. A 100 mile diet is designed to be food that comes from within 100 miles from you. I do what I can to accomidate this however there are some products that just won’t grow in the short growing season here.

Last edited:
We recycle all our cardboard and cans. We started doing this about 5 years ago. We also buy wind power credits to offset about 25% of our electrical needs. Going to 100% would be about $2000 more and I have not been willing to go there. When it drops under $1500 total (including what we are already doing we will go 100%. I will then market the fact that we are doing it. In a mountain town in Colorado, that will pay for itself in marketing value.

Last edited:
We get people to recycle their soda cans and plastic utensils. There’s a recycle only can near the front door so you can’t miss it. Some people do though…

Last edited:
Going green is a hot trend with just about any industry but is really picking up steam in the foodservice industry. Going green can save you money by lowering your energy bills, lowering your water bills, and improving productivity. It can also bring in new and more customers who are green conscience (which most people are these days). Here is a link to an education center dedicated to green practices and certifications for commercial kitchens and foodservice professionals:

http://www.foodservicewarehouse.com/education/going-green/default.aspx

I hope this helps you with your question.

Last edited:
I see a GIANT opportunity for “green” in restaurants – induction cooking. It is reported that induction cooking is 90%+ efficient vs sub 50% for electric or gas, and that’s just the COOKING. The lack of ambient heat caused by the inefficiency of heat transfer by electric coil or gas flame, would also reduce the need for A/C in the summer.

Unfortunately, you can’t find such a product in the US suitable for a restaurant. I found ONE induction cooktop with (I think) six burners for $19k. I can buy a gas range with 10 burners and 2 ovens for around $3k. Also, the 6 induction cooktop required 3-phase electric, which would be an additional build-out cost of several thousand. If the government wanted to subsidize the difference, I’d be all over it. Of course, this doesn’t help pizza ovens, but most restaurants have burners too.

Last edited:
I am all for finding better ways to use what we have. I do have a problem with Al Gore burning up fossil fuels to fly around the world to tell u and me what kind of light builb to use while he makes millions on it.

We all want clean water,air etc…

The problem with the green push is that it doesn’t work without a engine behind it. The engine behind the green is free market(capitalisim). The two need to work togethero on this.

Start by making sidewalk lights that actually light up the sidewalk and for longer than 36minutes
Start by not getting all those styro foam cups from your coffee shop while you sip on your latte talking about how evil people are that run large trucks(who ca

n only pull you out when your snowbound) Do you know how long styro takes to breakdown

pt

Last edited:
Back