Continue to Site

Good, flavorful, inexpensive meatballs?

Fontanini makes a good meatball if i remember. if i recall, its a 10lb box and sold for around 20 bucks. who knows what the cost is today.

I find that making them homemade, they taste alot better. With the ingredients and chopmeat, it costs me about $22 to get around 60 meatballs.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Make your own, & let everyone know that you’re doing it - it will actually cost you more than buying premade, but I tried a bunch at the Pizza Expo & I could tell that they had to be about 1/2 breadcrumbs & 1/2 meat. I’d rather charge a little more & keep the quality as high as possible.

Last edited:
NY,I don’t know what your putting in your balls that cost more than frozen but that sounds like your getting robbed! 20 llbs ground meat only cost 32-38.00 plus some fresh garlic,grted.chses and eggs.This will give you about 250 -300 meatballs.
Niccademo

Last edited:
I get some good meatballs from USFoods for $23 for 10 pounds cooked weight. The ones I make are superior in flavor, but these are really well liked by customers. Figuring raw ingredients, labor, and fat cook-off, these are cheaper, figuring $35 for meat +garlic+cheese+dairy+egg+breadcrumb+herbs (not counting labor to make, bake, cool and package

I will spend the extra few bucks making my own in the future, but since I can order in half ounce, ounce and 2 ounce sizes, I am very happy with these Roseli brand meatballs.

Last edited:
60.png
goomba:
NY,I don’t know what your putting in your balls that cost more than frozen but that sounds like your getting robbed! 20 llbs ground meat only cost 32-38.00 plus some fresh garlic,grted.chses and eggs.This will give you about 250 -300 meatballs.
Code:
                         Niccademo
Actually, that’s in line with what I’m spending for 80/20 ground beef - but factor in the shrinkage during cooking & it puts you over $2/ pound before adding spices and factoring in labor. We make a 3 oz meatball (approx cooked weight) - guess I just like to be told that my balls are really big 😉

Of course, that last little pun will probably cause another blocked word on the forum … LOL

Last edited:
we use the fontanini meatball. one ounce precooked and it comes in a 10 pound bag for 26.95. we fry them in our fryer and people love them

Last edited:
15thStreetPizzaandPub, do you fry them from frozen or are you thawing them out? And why are you frying? Doesn’t it give the fryer oil a different flavor?

Last edited:
My experience is that frying your balls when they are frozen leads to cold centers and overcooked edges, especially the 1-ounce size.

At our shop, we thaw in cooler and keep a stash of our 1/2 ounce meatballs thawed for pasta, pizza topping and sandwiches. We heat in a microwave at 70% for 4 minutes. If frozen, we thaw at 40% for 3 min and extra 30 stints until thawed.

Fried, we can do the 1/2 ounce okay, but sauteed in a skillet with the onion/pepper/mushroom gives the sandwich deep flavor . . . microwaved correctly, they are great as well.

Last edited:
48.png
Integraoligist:
15thStreetPizzaandPub, do you fry them from frozen or are you thawing them out? And why are you frying? Doesn’t it give the fryer oil a different flavor?
we defost a certain par per day so we always have defrosted meatballs. we are frying for the ease. We are tight on space and 2:45 in the fryer makes it real easy and quick. As for the oil tasting different…I never had a complaint. We filter every other night and change the oil every Saturday. Been working for 4 years here!

Last edited:
Back