Continue to Site

GREASY PIZZA COMPLAINTS!!! HELP!

Ryan_Louis

I run a small family owned/operated pizzeria and I’ve been getting more and more complaints about our pies being overly greasy. The main issue seems to be with pepperoni and pies with meat as a topping. Although i try to reassure my customers that the grease is simply fat runoff, the issue still remains. My question is as follows; is there an effective way to cut back on how greasy the pies come out without sacrificing quality of ingredients?

Last edited:
I know we’ve had problems with Hormel pepperoni. Have you tried using it frozen?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Right now we use liguria pepperoni which has a great taste, I have not tried using it after freezing. What benefits does that give me? Are there any little tricks cut cut back on the grease?

Last edited:
I run a small family owned/operated pizzeria and I’ve been getting more and more complaints about our pies being overly greasy. The main issue seems to be with pepperoni and pies with meat as a topping. Although i try to reassure my customers that the grease is simply fat runoff, the issue still remains. My question is as follows; is there an effective way to cut back on how greasy the pies come out without sacrificing quality of ingredients?
Ryan, I dealt with this awhile back. Few tips to help.
  • First, not sure if you’re using whole milk or part skim mozzarella but try using low moisture part skim mozzarella if you’re using whole milk mozzarella currently. Whole milk mozz is a bit more oily than part skim.
  • Secondly, try dusting the pepperoni with parmesan or romano before baking and that will soak up a bit of the grease and put a nice crisp on the pepperoni as well!
  • Lastly, the longer you cook pepperoni the more the oil will be pulled out by the heat. As some of us have mentioned in the past for cheese pizzas, you may have to push the pepperoni pizzas in a little bit so avoid some of the oil being pulled out.
One more thing to point out, the crust liners some have pointed out aren’t meant to help with greasy pies as much as keep the crust crispy on the bottom from that evil steam factor Tom Lehmann is always referring to for delivery pies. They simply elevate the crust slightly so air can get underneath. I use Perfect Crust Liners and always have a crispy crust on delivered pies, for what it’s worth! Good luck my man!

Last edited:
I never cared for greasy pizza and especially for greasy pepperoni. I found that a beef pepperoni was better… did not cup and was not oily. We also use a part skim mozz as Joe described for the same reason.

Last edited:
Currenty we are using low moisture whole milk mozz. ive thought about going part skim but was unsure of the pros/cons, you guys have helped me greatly. Thanks so much!! any other suggestions im all ears!

Last edited:
Tell your food reps that you are looking for other meats and you want samples. You don’t need a ton, maybe 8 oz each of several choices. The suppliers will do that for you for free.

When we do it we invite all our neighbor businesses to come in for a blind tasting and mention free pizza on FB. We generally get 20-30 people and we make up pies with only one variable at a time have people taste. Generally, we get a split decision with no clear winner which means we can go with whatever we like to work with or what is less expensive. Test the cheese first. When you decide what you are going to do there, test pepperonis etc.

Sometimes I have been surprised at what wins or does not win. Certainly not always in line with MY preconceptions!

Last edited:
We use Hormel Pepperoni, and whole-Milk Mozz.
And a little something we call “Oil-Dri” the brand name is Krisp-It, but medium size Panko breading is a wonderful substitute
We did not have an oiling problem, more of a veggie watering out problem, but the stuff works both way

Last edited:
I like the idea of panko breading as a way to soak up oil/grease or veggie watering, but have you had anyone notice a change in overall taste because of the panko?

Last edited:
I have started using Panko/Krisp It, for the past 6 months and the only comments that I have gotten was how crispy the crust is on all of my heavy pies. I use a lot of mushrooms and other vegetables on my pies and use to have problems with sogginess, but no more. Since I started using Panko/Krisp It, my sales have actually increased do to customer satisfaction of not having a soggy pie. I am actually thinking about not using a screen insert in my boxes because there is very little moisture coming through to the box. That would save me about .15 a pizza. X 200 pizzas a day X 363 days = That’s almost 11,000 dollars a year in savings plus a lot of very happy guests. And a secondary bonus is that there is less waste going into our landfills.

Last edited:
I like the idea of panko breading as a way to soak up oil/grease or veggie watering, but have you had anyone notice a change in overall taste because of the panko?
When I tested the product, I thought I would notice something about it, but I did not. And I was looking for it.

Last edited:
So I think I’m going to try the panko bread crumbs on our pies, how much would you recommend to put on pies? Obviously it depends on the toppings and the quantity of the toppings but what would the baseline be?

Last edited:
So I think I’m going to try the panko bread crumbs on our pies, how much would you recommend to put on pies? Obviously it depends on the toppings and the quantity of the toppings but what would the baseline be?
Call Krisp-It, they’ll send you a sample with directions, if you like it, purchase from them, they’ll send a shaker for it.
I use a 1.5 ounce portion cup to scoop, but I still eyeball it according to what is on the pie. I keep it under my veggies

Last edited:
Ryan,

We manufacture pizza inserts that are similar to the product listed above by Missy. Our product is made of paper and designed to raise the pie up off the bottom of the pizza box. This allows moisture to escape and also reduces heat loss, increasing your freshness. We have a distributor in your area that I can get you in contact with if you would like some samples. Shoot me a message if you are interested or click the link listed below to read about our inserts.

Best

Seth

Last edited:
I have started using Panko/Krisp It, for the past 6 months and the only comments that I have gotten was how crispy the crust is on all of my heavy pies. I use a lot of mushrooms and other vegetables on my pies and use to have problems with sogginess, but no more. Since I started using Panko/Krisp It, my sales have actually increased do to customer satisfaction of not having a soggy pie. I am actually thinking about not using a screen insert in my boxes because there is very little moisture coming through to the box. That would save me about .15 a pizza. X 200 pizzas a day X 363 days = That’s almost 11,000 dollars a year in savings plus a lot of very happy guests. And a secondary bonus is that there is less waste going into our landfills.
About how much do you use for large pie? Our large pies are 16" with about 4.5oz of sauce and about 8-10oz of mozz.

Last edited:
Are you using hand tossed dough? If so slap out a doughball lay it on the counter and cut it in half. Look at the edge profile. If it is noticable thicker the farther you get from the middle. That can be a problem basicly causes the grease to run downhill to the middle of the pizza. After the initial finger roll to create the rim flip theb doughball over and using stretch the outer rim a little withbthe edge of your hand pinky side. Stretch turn repeate till you have gone all the way around. You will know you have it right when you slap it out cut it in half and the profile is no thicker near the rim than the middle. Cook one each way box and cut it. Then wait 20 min move the pizza and look at both boxes. Years ago we implimented this and had so much success we quit using the box liners as they were no longer needed.

Last edited:
Call Krisp-It, they’ll send you a sample with directions, if you like it, purchase from them, they’ll send a shaker for it.
I use a 1.5 ounce portion cup to scoop, but I still eyeball it according to what is on the pie. I keep it under my veggies
Got the free sample bag but no shaker(since its the free bag) or directions. Is it just a standard parmesan shaker with the yellow lid?

Last edited:
Got the free sample bag but no shaker(since its the free bag) or directions. Is it just a standard parmesan shaker with the yellow lid?
I do not know, I metered my amounts by using a 1.5 ounce portion cup and kept the bulk of the product within 4 inches of the center of the pie.

Last edited:
Back