Continue to Site

Has anyone ever done a food bank drive?

Daddio

Staff member
I was reading the local paper today and the food bank is in very bad shape. I thought It would be a good idea to do some sort of food bank drive to help replenish their stock. The question is just exactly what kind of deal would bring people in with donations?

I would like some suggestions and stories on what has worked for anyone that has done one before.

Thanks

Last edited:
I’ve did a drive about a year ago. All I did was send out an e-mail to our customer list saying that we were accepting food donations at our location for a 3-day period. No special, no deal, no indication that we were even trying to sell them a pizza.

I was amazed at how many people came in to drop off food, and even more amazed at how many of them placed an order when they got there. I’d have to look at the numbers, but I believe we were around 50% up from normal over those three days.

Looking back, I should have issued press releases too.

Last edited:
Yes several years ago and it can be a nightmare if not managed correctly.

Keeping the canned goods out of the way from business can be interesting and the pilfering can be an issue too.

That said it can be a very big promotional tool and boost sales, and do a nice thing at the same time.

Last edited:
We actually just did a food drive last weekend. Our restaurant has outdoor space that we sometimes use to hold small concerts. We got a couple of killer blues guitarists to do a rock/blues show, and we “charged” a donation of canned or dry food at the door for entry. It’s always a great thing to do for the community, and can really help bring some attention to your business.

It can be a bit challenging, if not managed properly, but you certainly don’t need to make it harder than it needs to be. Most local food banks are very happy to help - sometimes they will supply the donation bins, banners, they will usually pick up the food after the event, etc…

Have fun doing something for a great cause! 😃

Last edited:
Back