Continue to Site

Haystack onions

Jen

Anyone ever make haystack onions ans how?

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
We make those for us sometimes for lunch, although theyre great, if they arent crucial to what your brand is- pizza delivery carryout (I think) Id stay away. theyre a pain to make, they get cold in 3 minutes and they dont travel well

Last edited:
That is kind of what I was thinking but my husband wanted to look into them.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I have done them, thousands of pounds of them way way back in the 1980’s.
I have 2 different methods depending on the moisture content of the onions, if you have well aged onions that have been in storage, a mixture of 1/2 gallon of buttermilk with 7 egss mixed in works very well, dip them, shake off the wet mix, dredge in flour, sake well to remove excess flour, fry without agitating them until browning, try to flip the whole mass over gently to get the upp edges browned without knocking off the breading.

Or, slice your onions, soak the sliced onions in lightly salted water overnight, this is for when you have extra juicy onions that refuse to crisp, and the steam blows your breading off while frying.
Same dredging & cooking techniques.

PS, they destroy your fryer shortening quickly, strain/filter your oil daily to remove the burnt flour. An auto-filtering fryer would be better

Last edited:
Back